View Full Version : CFC Lake Project

HankV
04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Okay, here's a summary:

I spoke to Alan from Rainbow Soccer Limited. They lease the land from UNC. The lake is part of the lease, but it isn't maintained (i.e. someone put up signs along the trails a few years ago, then vanished). Alan recommended two things: a) present our ideas to Vicky, who runs the soccer league, b) not to bother contacting UNC.

I fished the lake several times. I took notes and photos as I walked the entire bank. Here's what I saw:

1) Assorted Wildlife: Two young beavers, a heron, ducks and geese, turtles.
2) Fish: Carp, catfish, bowfin, LM Bass. Tons of baitfish and water bugs.
3) Plants: lots of little snags where trees lost branches along banks. We could get them out, leave the big ones for structure. Lots of poison ivy along trails. We can fix that, too.
4) Trash: Not much small stuff, but a few big things. Should be easy.
5) Water quality: Pond is fed by two small streams. Both get limited run off, and are pretty clean. The major problem is sedimentation that blocks creek channels.
6) Trails and structure: A bench could be fixed. We could clear some of the trails.

Basically, I think it's a nice project for us. We could consult someone and develop a fishery there. It's not the biggest lake, but it is close to campus, and free. It can support any kind of fishing from bait to flies to artificial. We could have a barbecue and fishing seminar. And the people who run the soccer league have been great. I don't see anything negative about it.

There is one thing that is bothering me, though: the lake doesn't seem to have a name. I've looked on the town website, several maps, and run search engines without any luck.

I say we meet there one day soon, check it out, and fish.

Henry

HankV
04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I mentioned presenting a proposal for the lake's use. I posted a draft below. Please read it and contribute ideas.

Carolina Fishing Club

Proposal for the use of the lake adjacent to the Rainbow Soccer Ltd. fields

Phase 1

a) Restore trails along banks. Limited pruning and clearing of debris and dead vegetation.
b) Clean up trash: separate recyclable materials from non-recyclable materials.
c) Repair Bench.

Phase 2

a) Remove large debris from island and water.
b) Institute a monthly clean-up schedule.
c) Install a sign that recognizes the Carolina Fishing Club as the lake’s sponsor:

The Carolina Fishing Club
(UNC Chapel Hill).
Maintains this Lake
Please Use Responsibly

Phase 3

a) Consult with environmental studies and freshwater biology experts at UNC on how to improve water quality and habitat.
b) Organize an educational youth fishing event.

HankV
04-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I found this in the news: a new study argues that smaller fish should be culled in order to sustain fisheries. It's not the first time I've heard the argument, which goes something like this: if you remove big fish from a small lake, it promotes "stunting" in size and decreases the hardiness of the gene pool.

Throw the big ones back, fishing study suggests - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/fishing_dc)

ReelinHeel
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I think it would be a good idea to post other signs around the lake, declaring that it is catch-and-release. I have seen quite a few small ponds in my area be wiped out by people who use livebait and keep everything they catch. We can be the people that make sure that some fish are culled out on a yearly basis.

This is really looking like a great project for the club. Nice job Henry.

carey
04-18-2008, 02:52 AM
what about taking some whooopers out of u lake in our tourney live wells and mixing some $%*! up in there...ay mate

shake and bake

carey
04-18-2008, 02:55 AM
or while we are at it, a giant fence so no one can get in except if you swipe you one card....ahhahahahaha

HankV
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
I like the stocking idea, but we should first get a better sense of what is in the lake.
Ideally, the state would conduct a survey, electro-fish the spot, and count size and species numbers. In reality, we will probably have to figure it out the old fashioned way - fishing.

This much I know - there are plenty of bass and carp in the lake, and a few bowfin.
Alan, the soccer field manager, says there is a massive "General Sherman" size catfish in the lake, too. We'll play it by ear.

dalton
04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Great ideas...we need to talk to the University before implementing policies--from my understanding we definitely have the privilege of fishing this spot but I don't know about the legalities of implementing regulations. I'll take a signatre move from Henry and make a list of things to do:
1) Contact university about gaining "rights" to the pond. Find out what they will let us do.
2) Contact biology or environmental studies professors to see if there is an interest in someone doing a thesis or project on freshwater ponds.
3) Have the student do the research on species density, average and maximum sizes to assess the needs or our wants from the pond.
4) Implement a plan to reach the club's goals for the pond.

Here are some pictures:
http://studentorgs.unc.edu/fishing/images/zoom/HLEHUO/viewsize/dscf2882.jpg
http://studentorgs.unc.edu/fishing/images/zoom/HLEHUO/viewsize/dscf2884.jpg
- Note the resident Heron

carey
04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
also tons of other water fowl...mostly mallards...saw several nests...maybe we could look into getting it classified as like wetlands or something....might help our conservation battle...also i think you get tax exemptions or deductions on "wetlands" and stuff....university might dig saving money on property tax....or they might now have to pay it because they are a public university...i have no idea

wish'n i was fish'n
carey

HankV
04-26-2008, 07:48 AM
This pond continues to surprise me. Dalton, Carey and I fished it yesterday with excellent result. I left early, but when I did we had bagged seven bass and Carey had a nice Bowfin. My best fish was just over 3 lbs.

Let's call a special meeting of the club after exams. I have a list of ideas, and Dalton's are posted here. We should our ideas to the people who have the lease. This pond is too good to be true.

Henry