View Full Version : What Cameras do you use?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Frog Hair
05-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Mike
Thanks I'll give it a try.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/Octorara2008/Goldenfinch.jpg

Striper In
05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Mike
Thanks I'll give it a try.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/Octorara2008/Goldenfinch.jpg

Looks great, I was just going to tell you to copy the IMG, the last one....

dalton
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I am having great fun with a waterproof point and shoot. I have the Olympus 720SW. It will shoot underwater, but I haven't tried it. Being waterproof, I take it wading, kayaking, on the beach - in short just about all fresh and salt water fishing situations where I'd normally worry about getting a camera wet. If it gets sandy, you can wash it off! It's small, so I take it with me much more often than my larger cameras. Plus, I've been extremely pleased with the photo quality.

I've been looking at the Olympus SW series of cameras online, and I believe I'll be buying one as my first personal digital camera. I've been leaning towards the 850SW model, it has 8 megapixels and is water/crush/shockproof just like the 720, all for $300. I was wondering about mixing the saltwater with this camera, I guess it just needs to be hosed down with the rods after a day of fishing.

Another model I am looking at is the Pentax Optio 30W, this camera is 7 megapixels and waterproof (no mention of shockproof, probably not good to drop this one)--the one advantage to this camera is its macro ability. Shots can be made as close as 1cm, a huge plus for getting high definition shots of flies on the river for reproduction at the fly bench. The Olympus must take shots at least 7cm away This camera is priced around $300 as well.

edgewater1
05-09-2008, 12:21 PM
cannon is the best and nothing else compares

edgewater1
05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
cannonis the best nothing esle compares

fishon161
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
You have my deepest sympathies:D:D Congrats, welcome to the club, it's a great institution.
Wish you all the best... My 15th anniv is next week!

You'll be fine with the D40, give it a couple years, learn and see if you want more out of it, then upgrade.

Thanks for the love - I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I figured the D40 would be a good "starter" camera. It might be just enough for what she needs. If not, maybe we'll upgrade on the 5th year anniv. gift.

Congrats on the 15 years! :clapping2:

jwica
06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
fishon161 and everyone else getting into digital photography,

I would urge you to take some time and visit Kenrockwell.com. there is a lot of info there and he uses both Nikon and Canon and will give you his opinion on digitals from point and shoots to SLR's.

fishon161-your Nikon D40 is a great camera. lots of people have that camera and never need another one. Wanting something else is totally different. The D40 will give you amazing pics. One thing to consider is the 18-200 VR lens. it may be the only lens you ever need.

One thing I have read and will pass on...Don't get caught up in the Megapixel hype. 7.5 megapixel is all you'll ever need. you really can't tell the difference with the naked eye.

right now, I'm looking to take the plunge myself. I just don't know if i want to spend the money on a new D300 or go small for now with the D40 or new D60.

Robalo-Rob
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
dalton:

I have a Pentax W30 and I am happy with it so far :thumbup:. I bought it last June before my honeymoon to Dominican Republic because we wanted a good all purpose camera that is waterproof. I took it snorkeling and got some cool pics below. It's not shock-proof, but its still a good camera that I would recommend. PM me if you have any questions on the camera.

Tarpon (in a shark pen):

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s142/robkrapf/tarpon.jpg

Coral:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s142/robkrapf/coral.jpg

On a side note; I'm happy that Brandon started this board because I'm looking to get into photography more and will be purchasing my 1st DSLR soon. It's great to have have folks to chat with about equipment, advice, etc.

Thanks Brandon :clapping2:

-Rob

FF 108
06-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I use a Cannon A2E. Best basic slr I have used. Getting ready to buy a new DSLR. It will be a Cannon 12 megapixel. When it comes to cameras, you get what you pay for, you cant go wrong with Cannon or Nikon.

dalton
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I just got my Olympus SW850, it seems like a decent camera and its supposed to be able to take some abuse. I haven't tested it fishing yet, not sure how bad the bad luck factor is.