Tidal Fish Forum banner

What Cameras do you use?

6K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Kayak fisherman 
#1 ·
Hi Gang

I thought a good way to get started on this board would be for people to describe what cameras you use for your outdoor photography and tell a little about yourself, what you like shooting, your experience etc... So I will go first.

Still Cameras

1. Canon Power Shot S500 (Digital Elpf)
I have this camera the waterproof case that is made for it by Canon (case # WP-DC800) and do underwater stills as well as video. I have had this camera for a bunch of years and it has been amazing. The optics have been very impressive.

2. Canon PowerShot SD950IS (Digital Elph)
I have had this camera for about eight months now and go it to replace the above. It has image stabilization and also is 12.1 mega pixels. It also shoot high res video which is cool. I have it in the Canon waterproof case ( case# WP-DC19) and use it for underwater stills and video. For a small compact camera it is simply amazing. This version is thinner then the above S500 which makes it a lot easier to carry as well.. Optics are great and for under $400 you simply can not beat it.

3. Nikon D300 with the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 200mm VF lens
I have used my friend's for a while and decided to get one. It's an amazing camera. I am not great with it yet as it has a million options and I am still learning, but it does take some great shots even with my limited knowledge of the camera.

Video Cameras
1. Sony Handycam DCR-HC20
I have had this a long time. It was not to expensive, but has done a good job shooting digital video. It is am amateur video camera, but for the money has done what I wanted it to. I do not think they make it any more

2. Sony Handycam HDR-SR12
This is the new HD video camera by Sony that has 120gig hard drive. It's billed as a high end amateur approaching professional video camera I just got it, so I am can not comment. I did a lot of research and the reviews were all excellent. I chose the Sony over the Canon because of of what I will film is fishing/water related and Sony's imaging processor is best for Green and Blue scenes, whereas Canon (and Panasonic) have a Red and Orange color saturation . . . It's like Fuji vs. Kodak film, respectively as it was explained to me. I am looking forward to testing it.

About me and my photography
I have some photography skills in my blood. My mother is/was a professional photographer who mostly did outdoor work. She has authored seven books, several on the Chesapeake Bay. She won the Waterfowl Festival's photography contest several times and finished second in the Kodak national photography contest many years ago, among a few of her accolades. My brother and I were always around the camera, so I picked up things as I grew up. I have never taken a formal photography course, but plan on doing one over the next year or two just to get some formal training. I did attend a seminar/workshop that Lefty did one year at the Mason Dixon Outdoor Writers Association conference which was really helpful and wish I could find more workshops like this.

Most of my photography revolves around fishing and digital photography. I enjoy doing underwater work as well. I enjoy still photograph, but also enjoy shooting and making short clips/films.

I am looking forward to learning about other people and learning from them with tips and techniques.

Thanks

Brandon

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good job Brandon!

Just a novice, but I enjoy photography.

I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT.

My lens that is almost always attached is a Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC Lens,
Use this pretty much A-Z, kids, nature, On the boat:eek2:, Looking to upgrade for a bit more distance

My other lens is a 85mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens which is primarily used for indoor low light, kids sporting activities, my son & Taekwondo, his indoor racing, great for shows in theaters with no flash allowed.

I also have a Point & Shoot Sony, forget the model, about 5 years old now which is also a great camera for what it's been through and where it's been. My son uses this alot now also.

My favorite moment with my Canon was on a Disney Cruise when my son asked if he could use my Canon to snap a pic Mickey Mouse, someone walked over and asked him if he enjoyed photography and he does, they told him to wait there, they went and got him a real Canon Camera, ( I had Camera Envy) and off he went with the ships photographer to shoot all the families with the characters.

Another favorite from the same trip was our stop in Costa Maya Mexico, we went to a little fishing village called Majuhual, probably one of the best ports on a cruise we had been too,

WE hung out under that tree most of the day, massages, pina coloda's...

shortly after our trip, Hurricane Dean came and hit Majuhual head on.

From all the reports, it was and still is devestated.....we had plans on going back next year but instead we are going to the Eastern Carib.

Since I have had the Canon, 2 years now, I have taken over 5000 pics:D

#3 ·
Hey guys -

So I'm taking the plunge on June 13th and getting married. For a wedding gift I got SWMBO a Nikon D40 from a company that sells on ebay. I actually bought it through them directly and not through ebay. I got a package deal and got all the gizmo's and gadgets (tri-pod, 4gb card, case, cleaning kit, etc)

I think I have some time that I can return it if I want. Is this a good entry level SLR? Were going to Mexico for our honeymoon (yes...she said we could go fishing on day! WOO HOO!!!) I'm not a camera guy, but from what I read this is a ok/good camera. do you think I should have gotten the D40x? This is a 10megapixel. My D60 is a 6.2 MegaPixel.

Thanks guys,
Bryce

#7 ·
Hey guys -

So I'm taking the plunge on June 13th and getting married. For a wedding gift I got SWMBO a Nikon D40 from a company that sells on ebay. I actually bought it through them directly and not through ebay. I got a package deal and got all the gizmo's and gadgets (tri-pod, 4gb card, case, cleaning kit, etc)

I think I have some time that I can return it if I want. Is this a good entry level SLR? Were going to Mexico for our honeymoon (yes...she said we could go fishing on day! WOO HOO!!!) I'm not a camera guy, but from what I read this is a ok/good camera. do you think I should have gotten the D40x? This is a 10megapixel. My D60 is a 6.2 MegaPixel.

Thanks guys,
Bryce
You have my deepest sympathies:D:D Congrats, welcome to the club, it's a great institution.
Wish you all the best... My 15th anniv is next week!

You'll be fine with the D40, give it a couple years, learn and see if you want more out of it, then upgrade.

#4 ·
Got started in photography many years ago shooting slides with a Canon SLR. Maybe 5 years or more ago I went digital and never looked back. Living close to Susquehanna State Park, Susquehanna River, and Deer Creek has many advantages for the photo hobbyist, there's always something to shoot. My subject preference is anything nature wildlife, landscapes, flowers, and of course the areas historic buildings. But if I had to pick just one favorite subject to shoot it would be birds. So what kind of cameras do I use?

My field camera is a Canon Power Shot S2 IS. I carry this camera with me always, and it really gets the job done. It's very inexpensive, takes excellent pictures, has 5 Mega Pixels, and can really handle abuse well. Did I mention it comes with an image stabilizer, and a 12x zoom? All for $300 or less, but I believe the newer power shot versions could be a little more money.

Now the camera I back pack for tripod work in a blind or just plain looking for detail is a Canon 40 D. If you can get past the price, weight (1llb body), and for me the learning curve you'd be hard pressed to fined a better camera.

Brandon thanks my friend for giving us a place to talk shop, show photos, and possibly learn. Now if I could only figure out how to delete old images I couldl post some pictures. My attachment folder is pretty much full with only two images.
Wayne B.

#6 · (Edited)
[]Brandon thanks my friend for giving us a place to talk shop, show photos, and possibly learn. Now if I could only figure out how to delete old images I couldl post some pictures. My attachment folder is pretty much full with only two images.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Wayne B.
For forums, I upload everything from Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

, ever used it???? If not, check it out. Let me know if you have any questions.

#8 ·
Striper In
"For forums, I upload everything from Photoshop, ever used it???? If not, check it out. Let me know if you have any questions."

Yes I do use photoshop but I have never used it to upload. How do I get it to work? We are talking the same photoshop that is used for editing photos.

#10 ·
#9 ·
I am having great fun with a waterproof point and shoot. I have the Olympus 720SW. It will shoot underwater, but I haven't tried it. Being waterproof, I take it wading, kayaking, on the beach - in short just about all fresh and salt water fishing situations where I'd normally worry about getting a camera wet. If it gets sandy, you can wash it off! It's small, so I take it with me much more often than my larger cameras. Plus, I've been extremely pleased with the photo quality.

#13 ·
I've been looking at the Olympus SW series of cameras online, and I believe I'll be buying one as my first personal digital camera. I've been leaning towards the 850SW model, it has 8 megapixels and is water/crush/shockproof just like the 720, all for $300. I was wondering about mixing the saltwater with this camera, I guess it just needs to be hosed down with the rods after a day of fishing.

Another model I am looking at is the Pentax Optio 30W, this camera is 7 megapixels and waterproof (no mention of shockproof, probably not good to drop this one)--the one advantage to this camera is its macro ability. Shots can be made as close as 1cm, a huge plus for getting high definition shots of flies on the river for reproduction at the fly bench. The Olympus must take shots at least 7cm away This camera is priced around $300 as well.

#17 ·
fishon161 and everyone else getting into digital photography,

I would urge you to take some time and visit Kenrockwell.com. there is a lot of info there and he uses both Nikon and Canon and will give you his opinion on digitals from point and shoots to SLR's.

fishon161-your Nikon D40 is a great camera. lots of people have that camera and never need another one. Wanting something else is totally different. The D40 will give you amazing pics. One thing to consider is the 18-200 VR lens. it may be the only lens you ever need.

One thing I have read and will pass on...Don't get caught up in the Megapixel hype. 7.5 megapixel is all you'll ever need. you really can't tell the difference with the naked eye.

right now, I'm looking to take the plunge myself. I just don't know if i want to spend the money on a new D300 or go small for now with the D40 or new D60.

#18 ·
Pentax W30

dalton:

I have a Pentax W30 and I am happy with it so far :thumbup:. I bought it last June before my honeymoon to Dominican Republic because we wanted a good all purpose camera that is waterproof. I took it snorkeling and got some cool pics below. It's not shock-proof, but its still a good camera that I would recommend. PM me if you have any questions on the camera.

Tarpon (in a shark pen):

Coral:

On a side note; I'm happy that Brandon started this board because I'm looking to get into photography more and will be purchasing my 1st DSLR soon. It's great to have have folks to chat with about equipment, advice, etc.

Thanks Brandon :clapping2:

-Rob

#21 ·
Hey ya'll, I use a Canon Rebel XT. I shoot mainly nature and candid pics of my son. I just got a Canon 75-300 IS lens and so far I love it for outdoor shot. In lower light situations the focus beyond 200 is a little soft but in sunlight it's great for what I use it for. And the IS makes a huge difference. The best part is if you are looking for a little more distance and are on a tight budget this is it. I'm curious to see the quality on my tripod. Of course your subjects need to beyond 5' away.
Cheers!~

#24 ·
Too Many ......

Being old school I still prefer 35mm color positive and B&W film for the process and the results. My 35mm camera of choice is a Contax G2 Rangefinder (Contax is now out of business) though I do have Nikon and Olympus SLR's. Medium format preference Mamiya 645 .

I got into digital at its birth with a AGFA1280 digital then numerous OLY advanced P&S's. My current digital line up is a Minolta 7D with 3 lenses (also out of the photography game: see a trend here or what ;) ), a OLY 770SW waterproof, and a Canon G10 (P&S with an attitude) ;). But, I never left my film work.

If a shot is really important and IMO has to look its best I'll grab a film camera but for random daily sort of photo's I will use digital. The 7D system is an excellent system but the truth is for the size and weight of this system it rarely see's sunlight.

Most of my shots will be handled by the Contax G2, Canon G10, and if getting wet is the call the 770SW is in my pocket.

I have been tripping shutters since 1964 and shooting for money was how I helped put myself thru college then my 2 Hasse's were sold for down payment for my first house. Shooting for cash neared ruined my interest in this fine activity because I just would not pull them out of the case unless I was going to make a buck. A very poor attitude that I really regret today because I have very few photo's of my oldest two kids growing up during that time in my life.

Today the Joy is back and I shoot for the love of recording light! Being retired also doesn't hurt ;)

#25 ·
Since no one is defending Nikon among all you Canon guys, I will speak up.
I have a Nikon D80 (soon to be replaced by a D300 or 700) . I have the 18-135 kit lens that came with the camera, a 50mm , 85mm and 70-300mm VR zoom . I am really happy with Nikon and the lens choices available ---except for the price !!!

#26 ·
Olympus

Howdy everyone, I have always been a Olympus man, started out with a cheap camera open box from Circuit City. Needed one in a hurry and thats what feel in the price range.
Then I discovered the Xd cards. It seemed like any picture you took had the most amazing colors. So vivid. Now five years later, the whole fam has olympus. I have moved up to a SLR E-510 with several way to costly lens. The cost is a bit higher than most but the new 4/3'd system shoot with great quality.
We also went on our honeymoon in Dec and wanted a good camera for underwater shots. We saw the Olympus 1050. Great all purpuse camera. Water proof 30 or 10 feet can't rember, shockproof up to 12 feet. One of the best buys ever.
So anyone looking for great shots with no brains, like me. go look at the Olympus cameras. You will not regret it.

I will post a few soon.

#28 ·
I carry my "good" camera, a Nikon D40x, out in the ocean when I go. But I have to say, I get my best shots using an HD Sony video cam. You can clip frames out and, while they're not as crystal clear as the Nikon's pics, you often get better pics because you really don't miss anything. If I videotape a fish breaking the top of the water for a split second, this equals about 15-20 frames (pics) and usually at least one of them is very clear and the fish is "posing" just right. You can't (ie, "I can't") do that with a regular camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.