View Full Version : Nikon vs. Canon SLR's

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rit.05
07-29-2008, 09:51 AM
They will both take quality pics, the important factors in photography are you and the lens. Get a good lens, learn how to use your equipment(Canon or Nikon) and make your pictures count.

Dashaway
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I have quite a few Nikon cameras and lenses. Went with a D70 2 years ago and don't regret it at all. Superb image quality and good sharp lenses.

rude
08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
SWMBO is in advertising,she needed a new one,I am not a camera guy.
I bought her the Olympus EVOLT E-410,I played with it and coaxed one
of our cats to assend and desend a hutch that stands about 8-1/2ft.
In sports mode,to me,every picture looked perfect.
I just held down the button,I don't remember how many pictures it
shot in those few seconds,but it was kwick.

Can anyone tell me if this is a hi-quality camera?
Thanks in advance.

Rude

rlee48
08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Sony no bolony a100 or better just my 2 cents

Barnacle Bill
01-20-2010, 05:15 AM
It seems to me that on all the NFL games I see the sideline photogs with Nikon cameras.
I've been on several cruises and all of the ships' photogs use Nikon cameras.

ReelSmith
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I just bought a Nikon D5000...did a little research and Nikon had slightly better reviews. I'm now enjoying the thick users manual to learn how to use the thing!:wacko:

Capt Frank
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Again I had a photo studio for 28 yrs in Pasadena Md, and went to Nikon when I had servicing issues with Canon, especially on the early digitial stuff. Although we used Hasselblads for our high end stuff like weddings, we had lots of portfolio work with the high end Canon EOS 35s which we used for 20 yrs. At the time Canon had the largest market share and maybe its the old adage that too large meant lesser service. When I starting using the higher end digitals, I was told by a large photo company in Baltimore that Nikon had better service and they sold both cameras equally. So I sold all my Canon cameras lenses on Ebay and bought, which was, at the time top end Nikon digitals like the 200D. I'm happy to say I've never had any kind of service issues with Nikon and they've seemed to caught up with the early lead that Canon had with more advanced digitals. I'd bet that Canon has improved early servicing issues.

Russ498
03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Which child do you love more or do you prefer chocolate or vanilla? Both Canon and Nikon are fabulous. I started with Canon in the film days and have thousands tied up in glass, so it would be ludicrous for me to switch. I'm an "L" lens snob, you see. I use a 5DMkII now and think it can't be beat. I am on my 4th or 5th camera body, but still use the same glass. HMMM, is there something to learn from that!! My BIL started with Nikon and has the same issues. He uses some piece of dung that carries the Nikon brand. He apparently is easy to please, cause he likes it. Try them, hold them, use the controls and buy what you like. They're all good.

dwkoller
03-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I've had the benefit of using both and agree with the above post to spend your money on a faster/higher quality lens. When purchasing my last camera set-up, I looked for value, but also considered which lenses I currently owned I could use with the upgrade -- even if it meant I had to use manual settings. Both Nikon and Canon are very competitive -- which body I chose was based on how the camera felt in my hands, the location and layout of the controls/buttons, how easy it is to clean the ccd...

I will add that I have stopped taking my DSLR with me when I'm on the water -- instead I use a samsung 10.2 for the boat shots. My cameras also seem to get wet one way or another on the boat/kayak. My high end camera stays home except for special occasions -- besides I could never take a shot like Jay F.

surf rat
03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I just bought a 5DMKII for my wife. She has several high end lens and loves it. She had a canon before but this is her first full frame. The pictures are great. I am sure the Nikon is a great camera as well. I think the Canon lens are as good as any out there.