View Full Version : Nikon vs. Canon SLR's

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brandon
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok Gang

So this was going to start at some point and should make for some conversation.

I just went through the purchase decision for my digital SLR and went with the Nikon D300. The reason was I have been using my friends and we took it to Argentina recently where we spent just under a month and took literally about 7,000 photos with it. It was amazing.

I had also heard that the Canon higher end SLRs have a software issue where they can lock up with a 000 error. My friend had this happen and once it locks you have to send it back to the factory. So if you are on a trip you are jammed. No reports of this stuff with Nikon.

I have been talking and reading and it appears a lot of the super high end photographers are now going with Canon because they have larger diameter lens, essentially making their lens faster then the Nikons. There in lies the issues...I think. The question is can the average person really tell the difference? And is the lens really that much faster that it matters and the camera can not compensate for it?

Let the debate begin....:))

Brandon

Striper In
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Brandon,

I'm not on the super high end, but that could change as I have been giving it some more thought as the children are getting a bit older giving me more time, my original plan was more fishing, why not do both, we'll see, right now I am that average person that really enjoys it.

When I went with my Canon, it was between Canon & Nikon. Joined some forums, read alot, learned some more and I felt that Canon had more products, accessorials, lenses, etc.etc. I could build up my equipment with the intentions of upgrading from the XT to 30D-40D and still be interchangeable, pass down to my son the XT with accessorials & Lenses.

To answer your question, I don't think the average person can tell the difference.

Curious to see.

At first I thought 7000 in a month was alot of pics that you took, then I recalled that on a recent cruise for 7 days, I took almost 1600.
I am trying to take less pics now and make those count more.

Frog Hair
05-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I went with the Canon because thatís all Iíve ever used. I will say most of my friends with higher end cameras use Nikons. It takes a talented eye to tell the difference between photos taken with different models and price range cameras. For example this photo was shot today with a Canon (no pun intended) that cost less then 300 dollars and I donít think it looks all that bad.

Bird Watcher
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
The difference between the comparable cameras isn't where the decision is. The decision is in which company offers the array of lenses that you will want to round out your collection. Once you start accumulating lenses you will have made a long term commitment to that platform.

Canon L series lenses are hard to beat as far as IQ (image quality) but they are more expensive than other comparable lenses in other platforms.

The lense aperture diameter is lens dependent. Nikon makes "fast" (big aperature) lenses just like Canon does.

For the "prosumer" photographer the bigger bang for the buck in SLR's is in the lenses not the cameras. Nikon and Canon both make a great camera and lenses. You will get better pictures from a Canon xti with a 70-200L IS F4 than you will with a Canon 1D mark II with a 75-300 f4/5.6 crappy lens.

Spend your money on great glass and you will see a difference.

You may not see that difference when downsizing photos for the net. If you blow up a photo to 12x18 you will see it big time. You will also see it when trying to shoot in low light and can't. You will also see it when your lens searches for eternity trying to focus.

I could go on.

Capt Frank
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Brandon as you know I had a photo business for over 28 years, shot mostly Hassys and Canon SLRs for most of that time. By 2000 digitals began to pop up and by 02 we had almost converted to digital Canon DSLRs. The high end zoom lens, fisheyes we had for the film cameras all worked on the DSLRs. Within a year I began to have issues with a Canon camera, mainly underexposing. Sent it back to Canon twice returned unchanged. The white balance was off as well. The Company I did business with in Baltimore indicated that Canon's support had fallen off as they became the major player in the industry, however, he said Nikon support was tops. Like any businessman I dumped all the canon stuff on eBay and bought a D70, later a D200, top zoom lens, with the SB 800 flashes, and havent looked back. The equipment has had no issues, still do an occassional wedding, shoot some fishing shots, but I'd rather fish.:))

thecameraguy
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm a Pentax guy.

paxfish
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I went with Nikon dslr two years ago. No regrets. Here's a few shots cropped and compressed:

Picasa Web Albums - Chris Moe - Bay 2007 (http://picasaweb.google.com/paxfish/Bay200702)

nate091881
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I use the canon system
I mainly shoot weddings and portraits and use the 5D with L series glass most of the time. I have yet to have any problems, and the few problems that colleagues have ever had were resolved with serious quickness.

The fast and quality glass is the way to go - don't buy a bunch of crappy lenses.
Canon makes a 50mm 1.4 that is not an L series, but is tack sharp, super fast and one of the industry standards. It is only about $300 (cheap for this best kept secret lens). This lens is perfect for portraiture and on a Rebel, 30D or 40D is the equivalent of an 80mm lens because of those cameras' sensor size. You can zoom with your feet.

Canon cameras are very user friendly and produce incredible results. The 5D with shoot up to iso (asa) 1600 (or 3200 in expanded mode) with very little distracting image noise (grain - if you come from the land of film)

Bottom line is........both systems are incredible. Nikon makes a very solid product. If you've gone one brand or another, stick to it, learn it, make yourself a aficionado of the brand and get your head out of which is better. The camera is just a tool. If you are looking to better yourself at photography, check out Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book there are two of them and they cover a lot. Very good read and very helpful techniques for all types of photography.

Nate
natekinnisonphotography // big sky over berry field (http://www.natekinnison.com)
My photography blog (http://www.natekinnisonphotography.blogspot.com)

Russ D
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm not really into high-end photog but my wife is. She said Nikon all the way. Recently she traded up and I got her old D80. I can't tell you how much this thing has improved my photography. According to her the Nikon is tops in service and reliability right now. She also said the Canon will also take great pics but the build quality isn't as good.

pitboss
06-27-2008, 06:13 AM
i went with canon... but strongly agree for the best quailty images put your money in lens and not the body.

good luck,

jeff