View Full Version : Waterproof digital cameras???

Tom Powers
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
OK so I dropped my Cannon A20 camera and it is dead now. So I am looking for a moderately good camera kinda greater than 5 Mpixels ideally with a optical zoom that goes at least a factor of 5. Image stabilization sounds cool also. Oh and I really like the concept of AAA batteries as it means that I never have to worry about plugging in the charger.

$150 to $250 is what I kind of figure I will end up spending for such a camera.

ON THE OTHER HAND.

A waterproof camera would mean that I could take it out on the kayak or the motor boat without fear of killing it when it gets splashed, or even dunked.

I went to Walmart today and found two waterproof cameras. One 5 MPixels camera was like $100 and came with a waterproof case much like a pelican case and had a LCD display on the back. However, it only had a digital zoom.

The other was like $20 and marketed as a kids camera with no LCD Display. I would bet that it was a real low pixel count camera because it did not say anything on the label. Even still were I to need a camera for a fishing contest it would do the trick.

So what is the advice of the board.

Tom

Sanity
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
There are plastic waterproof housings made for most cameras. Some are a little clumsy but they ARE waterproof. On the other hand, I have found the double Ziplock bags and a waterproof soft case to be useful on canoes or small watercraft where there is danger of overwash. I don't think anything survives a good dunking other than the hard cases.

Homeowner's insurance will often cover the loss of a camera overboard, at least it did for me in one case. If you get something under a couple hundred bucks, it may be less than your deductible. It's one of the reasons I have a "throwaway". Makes it easier not to cry.

You're a careful man, but accidents happen. Most times they don't. Anyway, that's what I do. I don't get personally attached to one of the little guys. All I've lost is the shots that I took so far but I download after every trip so it's not like I lost anything irreplaceable.

Besides, you're still young enough to have the memories.....including the one where you dropped it!!:D

Cory ruthless Routh
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Olympus 720SW should be in thta price range.

Sanity
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I forgot to add, punch a hole in the plastic bag and use a rubber band around the lens. I've looked at the camera Corey mentioned and Canon makes one too. They are good for the purpose.

Robalo-Rob
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I have a Pentax Optio W30 - It is waterproof up to 10 feet deep for 1hour. I have been very happy with it so far. It was tested when snorkeling in the Dom. Repbulic and worked great. I am comforable using it on the boat and fishing, etc. because I don't have to worry about it getting wet. It is 7MP and I think it sells for about $199 now. I beleive the Olympus mentioned above is also shock-proof, so that may be worth a look as well.

Good luck.

captain mike
10-11-2008, 02:29 AM
I have a Pentax SW20 water proof camera I use on my Kayak. It has a rechargeable battery and takes great pictures. I just up graded to the SW30 and will be selling the 20 if anyone is in need. 200.00 for the camera, battery, charger and lowepro case.

Mike Marsala
757 724-6453

corddry
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Chiming in late here -
Just found this thread, and I think this is a quesion a lot of people will continue to have.

I also have the Pentax W30. when I got it I did a lot of research, read lots of tests and reviews. I found it had the best features on paper, and it has worked really well.
I have a nice SLR's but found when kayaking, they stayed in the dry bag except for special photo op occaisions. I wanted something that I could keep handy and pull out without fear for it's safety. This camera has been that. The pictures are what you expect for a point and shoot f6.3 camera - limited in low light, great in the sunshine. BUT, I take pictures of stuff I never would catch otherwise. I keep it in my PFD pocket when kayaking, and just rinse it under the kithcen faucet when I get home.
I haven't used it underwater, but for what I do it is great.
Only major drawback is lack of an eyepiece viewfinder - there is only the LCD.
Got a spare battery and a 2g SD card - recommend that too.
Attached is a random shot - shrunk from the 2meg original.
Wouldn't likely dig out the big camera here. Some images (also shrunk) from last night fishing are on the SRRK club board here at TF (pg 2 of thread "upper severn")

Andrew886
11-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Another late response, but if you're still in the search Canon makes waterproof housing for pretty much all of their cameras from about $150 dollars that are waterproff to 135ft. I have a canon SD800IS that I bought with no intention of taking diving, but when I learned how afordable these housings were I bought one and have used it a couple dozen times now without any problems. It takes great pictures, isn't too bulky and you can still access all features of your camera. Check them out.