View Full Version : I suppose I'm too new to be posting, but . . .

Joy Hansen
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I'm retired for many years and live in Scottsburg. Had to give up other hobbies except for Cowboy Action Shooting and now fishing is calling me. Fished so many years ago on the left coast and I don't have a clue about here. I bought a 1436 jon a while back and decided it needed a lot of help. Joy's fishing boat project 1985 (http://www.joysfishingboatproject1985.blogspot.com) will show where I am. Unfortunately, I don't know if the boat is large enough for fishing Kerr or other open water. The motor is an 8 Mercury and the TM is 36 pound. It was an impulse purchase to see if I can handle boat fishing.

Sure appreciate some insight about what I'm doing. :helpsmilie:

Regards, Joy T Brew

StriperChaser1
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Buggs can get pretty rough on windy days. Not unusual to see 3 - 4 ft whitecaps then other times it can be as slick as glass. I'd certainly stay aware of weather conditions before taking the Jon boat too far from the boat ramp. But there's some fine fishing around some of the boat ramp coves. Good luck and be careful.

Joy Hansen
09-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Buggs can get pretty rough on windy days. Not unusual to see 3 - 4 ft whitecaps then other times it can be as slick as glass. I'd certainly stay aware of weather conditions before taking the Jon boat too far from the boat ramp. But there's some fine fishing around some of the boat ramp coves. Good luck and be careful.

Hi StriperChaser,

Whew, 3-4 foot waves? Seems like my little Jon is a bit small for waters like this. I see weather change so fast on the water.

That said, I'm willing to purchse a suitable boat that can handle the water. I looked at a 20 footer "Rough Neck" a while back, sort of a huge jon with a 115 Johnson @ $7500, but fiberglas fuel tanks (alcohol fuel) worry me a lot due to the resin getting into the motor. So, I didn't persue looking at the boat anymore. I don't have the longevity to spend much time with restoration. Already go too many undone projects around the homestead. I know there are other for sale boats suitable for Buggs. Do you have a suggestion for the type I should be looking for?

BTW, Staunton River State Park is very close to me and I could launch, but it seems that one must know the water very well. I see Occoneechee State Park as another area to launch that might be easier to navigate. To be honest, I know so little about Kerr Reservoir that finding Buggs Island eludes me. Need another map!

Do you have a suggestion as to where I might begin my fishing with my little jon? Maybe guide or charter would be a better way to start?

Lots of questions, hope you have time to reply to some of them.

Thanks, Joy T Brew

StriperChaser1
09-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Occoneechee is one of my favorite areas to fish espcially during the spring and fall. Sandy Crek there at Occoneechee holds a lot of bait and there's always a lot of fish in that area. As far as a guide goes Ramrod's Guide Service would be my first choice. He knows the lake as well as anyone and has the equipment and the ability to find the fish plus you will learn a lot in the process. Your boat will be fine for the Occoneechee area. Out around the bridges at Clarksville would be fairly safe for you on calm days. Come late Oct into November that area will be full of fishermen and you can get a good idea what size boats others are using.

lannyp
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I agree!
Book a trip with Ramrod.:yes: He'll have a lot to offer anyone wanting to know more about the lake and fishing for stripers.:fishing2: You are sure to have a great time even if the fish don't cooperate.:thumbup:
Lanny