View Full Version : O/T DEBIT CARD FRAUD $2,500 in one [email protected][email protected][email protected]

Pages : [1] 2

Wiredawg
11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Today some A-Hole :death: charged $1,900 at Safeway and $600 at a Walamart in the Baltimore area with my debit card information. Navy Fed Credit Union froze my account and contacted my home number. When my wife returned from work, (she works at Marine Federal Credit Union) she got the message and called Navy Fed.

I have to go in and file a written fraud claim(faster than going the online route since there is a 5 day backlog for fraud claims online:eek2:), and once the paper work is processed we will likely get all of our money back within 5 days.

It all sounds rather painless untill you consider I have a $2,600 mortage payment which was supposed to hit the account tonight, and a few other small things like my phone and utilities processing. We had to scramble to move money around to cover the bills and this is real pain. :censored:

Leson learned from speaking with the fraud line people, they are seeing alot more fraud claims lately. Keep on top of your accounts, this could have been alot worse if Navy Fed did not lock the account.... :soapbox:

I have never used my debit card online and only use it for gas and minor stuff at the PX on Quantico. Also FWIW my wife checks our accounts daily for fraud activity and these transactions did not post yesterday. She has worked at Credit Unions for the past 15 years, and she has pretty much seen it all. We just thought we were carefull enough and it was very unlikely we would get hit.

I say we hang all thieves or chop off their hands:death::death::death:, like the good old days.... YEAH I AM PISSED AND THIS WAS MY WAY OF VENTING.......

Jay

ekim22
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Man that sucks.

How the heck do you spend $1900 at a grocery store????

skipperwork
11-03-2008, 08:22 PM
The person that rang it up was probably in on it too. The crazy thing is the card company's don't really investigate unless it over 10,000. All they would have to do is pull the video tapes in the stores but I guess that would cost more than refunding you the 2500.

Finfever21
11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that i hope everything goes smoothly and you get your money back. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!brandon

classicrockfish
11-03-2008, 11:01 PM
sorry to hear that happened to you.....As for the venting ..We are your tidal fish family & that's what friends are for.. hang in there.

Echo
11-04-2008, 12:29 AM
$1900 in Safeway isn't impossible... First the Latte from Starbucks, thats 5 bucks, and then the $1895 of uninsured prescriptions...

Flydad
11-04-2008, 02:29 AM
:nono: This kind of stuff pisses me off more than anything!!! This kind of theft is very personal. and should be punished very severely. Unfortunately, however, you rarely hear about any stiff penalty for these perpetrators.

bozwell
11-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Never use a debit card. This happens all this time. Use a credit card and pay it off every month. You'll be alot safer.

HisDoghouse
11-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Never use a debit card. This happens all this time. Use a credit card and pay it off every month. You'll be alot safer.

That's what we do. I have a West Marine Mastercard (I get coupons every month), and my wife uses a Carnival Cruises card.

They key is being responsible and ensuring that it is paid off EVERY month.

rj
11-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Don't forget to file a police report,,they are the ones who should be investigating this.