View Full Version : Just ordered my new Nikon

twiskman
03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I should take posession of my new camera today- I grabbed the D200 for a host of reasons, but mostly, the price was right, and my brother shoots a D300, and I can share/borrow glass with him. That being said- what lenses would you all recommend? I plan on shooting a lot of nature, and landscapes (moreso than portraits), and am just getting into the hobby (I used to shoot a lot of 35mm, but that was like 15 years ago, and I have forgotten most of what I once knew). I would like to get myself completely outfitted prior to heading for Montana on the 5th...

Thanks for any help!

FishStu
03-27-2009, 08:59 PM
You will love the D200. As for lens, a lot depends on your budget and what you plan to
use the camera for. One lens to consider for sure is the Nikon 50mm f1.8 . It's a great lens and you can get a new one for about $130 !!! It's a lens you will want to keep even as you upgrade your camera. Beyond that , I would look at a Nikon 70-300VR . Its about $500 and like the 50mm f1.8 , it's one you will likely keep for a long time. Beyond that you probably want a wider angle lens . There are a host of Nikon lens available from several hundred to thousands of $$$. There are also some good quality lens made by Sigma and Tokina.
Go to a site like Amazon . com , type in Nikon lens and you can get a feel for what's there and the cost . As you develop a full case of "Lens Lust" just make sure your credit card limit get increased !!!
My advice would be to get one or two good quality lens and learn how to use them before you fill up your camera bag with a lot of lens that you really aren't satisfied with.
Here's a good review of most popular Nikon lens :Discount Nikon Lenses - Nikon Lens Reviews - Nikkor Lenses (http://www.smart-review.com/nikonlenses.html)

boondoggle
03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Where did you buy your camera?

twiskman
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Stu- Thanks for all your information. I grabbed an 18-70, and am looking VERY hard at the 70-300VR (its just a matter of grabbing the cash!). I hadnt looked really hard at the 50- but I will take a look. Thanks for the help!!!

Actually Boon, I ended up grabbing one from Best Buy. They had them on an internet special a couple weeks ago for $599 (body only)... It sure is a sweet camera. I was playing with it today, taking photos of my daughter- WOW!!!

FishStu
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
The thing about the Nikon 50mm f1.8 is that it's a great low light lens and is about the ONLY quality thing you can buy from Nikon for less than $150!!!!! The 50mm f1.4 and the newer 50mm G lens are better but at about 3+X the cost .
Good luck and enjoy your new camera. Post some pictures when you get a chance !!