View Full Version : Best Tackle Shops in the Northeast?

Pages : [1] 2

Brandon
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi Gang,

I wanted to throw the question out there, what would you consider the best tackle shops in the Northeast (NY, MASS, CT, RI) and why?

Thanks

Brandon

Flying Fish
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Now there's a question. Why do you need a tackle shop, they will just separate you from all your money!! [grin]

I think I like all tackle shops, but some more than others. OK, I like Red Top in Bourne, MA because they have tons of gear, including a little flyfishing gear, and knowledgeable people. I like Eastman's in Falmouth because I've been going in there for so many years; got my first good modern flyrod there (a T&T Emerger 5-wt), a great deal on a Shimano Speedmaster reel, and flies and lures. But it's been a few years since I was in there. On Nantucket I liked Bill Fisher's (the long-time owner, Bill Pew, sold it last year and I don't know if or where it will reopen next year); Bill Pew was truly one of a kind. Barry Thurston's is a good place, also been there 30 years; and Cross-Rip Outfitters is a good fly shop on Nantucket.

FF

capt.jc
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Saltwater sportsman in Newport R.I. Upto date info and verygood selection of what you need when they point you at the fish.

Mightyrjq
11-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Bass Pro shop. Worth the drive.

NNKjake
11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
i went to Bill fisher's in nantucket this past summer, really a great shop. my buddy up there (who has recently moved off island) told me they were going to demolish the building and move the shop up the road a bit. i think about 10 guys got together and bought the place to keep it in business.

Crabcake74
02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
They have anything you could ask for as well as a nationwide mail order catalog that makes shopping with them extremely easy. The fact that the Father and Son who run the shop are also licensed capts with well over 50 years experience fishing the waters in nd around Long Island and New England is also a big plus. Their prices are extremely reasonable and they'll actually refer people to other shops for items that they do not carry or have access to. I have to admit, there are times each year when I step into the "dark side" and make purchases from a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. However, all anglers should support local tackle shops as much as possible since they're in the know and they're the ones who will steer you to where the action is in your area.

rhahn427
02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Tochterman's is at the top of the list for me. They have been real good to me for personal attention. Cabelas has been more than fair and I have been very happy wih their deals and service. Orvis has gone out of their way to find specific items for me. BPS has been good but not as good as the others for fishing ........ they have been good for hunting.

uncle phill
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Bass Pro shop. Worth the drive.
:nono:

snookered
03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Try the Nauset Angler in Orleans (Cape Cod) Mass-Harry Koons the owner is extremely knowledgable especially in fishing the Capes Beaches and Fly Fishing for Stripers.

Fish
03-09-2007, 12:35 AM
M&D's in Wareham, Massachussetts (aka capecodtackle.com). Has a little bit of everything for the saltwater enthusiasts (rod building, plug building), his prices are right and he can build an awesome custom rod to suit your needs.

Saltwater Edge in RI. If I had a tackle shop, I'd want it to be like this one. Classy shop and it's all about saltwater fly fishing and plugging, no bait so the place doesn't smell. The most custom plugs I've ever seen in a tackle shop. They do lack in the rod department but they make up for it by carrying a lot of high end and hard to find items.