View Full Version : Drum on the BOMB

Reef-Runner
05-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Fished on the ADAMBOMB out of Cape May Sat. 5/21, 2:30 to 8:30 PM with Saltfisher Don Kiesel, my son Chris and our buddy, TC off the TF Board. Wind was up but blowing w/ the incoming tide so while rough, it was bearable. Marked fished as we wandered around looking for a place to anchor.
Anchored in 14 ft. of water off Slaughter Beach over the mussel beds.
Soon after the surf clams went into the water Don hooked up about a 15 lb black puppy drum. The juices of all began flowing with ecitement of the hopeful day before us.

Well 3 hours later TC gets a hit but couldn't hook up. Another hour passed before Chris hooked up and boated a 15/16lb'er.

Fifteen minutes later I hooked up a 20 lb'er on a light spinning outfit spooled with 10lb Fireline. A nice battle and a lot off fun. First black drum I have ever caught. Have always heard people complain about the lack of a fight with black drum, but on light gear they are a ball.

Can't wait to get back out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tight Lines and Fair Winds!
Mike

CroixBoy
05-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Reef Runner, Thanks for the report. I've never fished for Drum but have always wanted to. What kind of Rig did you use with the clams? How long does the Drum bite last in the lower bay?
Thanks,
CB

Reef-Runner
05-23-2005, 10:24 PM
CB,

We were using fish finder rigs w/ 5/0 offset circle hook and 4 oz. weight. Put a whole surf clam on as bait.

My Fish was caught on one of my St. Croix rods w/ a Diawa SS 1600 reel. My favorite combo. The drag on that reel is REAL SMooooth. I don't have to tell you about St. Croix rods!

Tight Lines and Fair Winds!

Mike