View Full Version : Any spearos around the DC area?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mako993
04-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Does anyone here live around Washington DC? I'm looking for some fellow spearos in my neck of the woods.

fishooter
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I spearfish some. DE Breakwater, CBBT, NC, FL, etc. I know a few guys who do, too. Do mostly freedive or scuba?
Mark

Mako993
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Will be doing strictly scuba, after I get officially qualified this summer with NAUI, and then will be starting into spearfishing then.

Do you do scuba or free dive? Are there lots of free divers who are not scuba qualified and who spearfish?

fishooter
04-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Mako,
At least one of my spearfishing buddies lives in Alexandria.
Mark

fishooter
04-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Mako,
Most of the spearfishermen I know predominately do it freediving and save the scuba for photography, salvage, and other purposes. Scuba is good for spearfishng the offshore wrecks off New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland, though, where the water is colder and the visibility is less than further south.

You really don't need scuba to spearfish and you may find it detracts from the sport once you develop as a freediver. Freediving helps your scuba skills immensely and does not require a certification, plus it's a LOT more economical. I know lots of guys who can hunt freediving as deep as most recreational scuba divers will ever go (in clear water), but the fact is you really don't need to go deeper than about 30' max to spearfish most of the time. I know a local spot whre you can get plenty of fish in 10 feet of water or less. I primarily freedive/spearfish and seldom put on a tank any more, but I used to do a whole lot of scuba diving. I keep things more simple now and like not having to deal with so much heavy gear.

Having said all that, I've been scuba diving since 1967. It's a great sport. We have some of the best wreck diving in the world off the east coast. By all means get scuba certified. Go NAUI, stay away from divers with patches all over their jackets, dive with the guys using the most well-used gear, and always dive safe.

Mark

Mako993
04-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I still intend to go NAUI for my Open Water cert, and any cert thereafter with them. I like the way they organize things, and the fact that it was created and implemented by former SEALs is a plus in my book - no B.S.

I'd like to try freedive spearfishing sometime, and you mentioned a spot to do it in 10 feet of water somewhere - ? If you and your dive buddy here in Alexandria ever want to hit such a spot I'd be interested. I have some experience, although it's been years - catching turtles in the lakes where I grew up, and I'm a strong swimmer, having grown up near Long Beach Island, New Jersey. I guess that's where I'd put on the Scuba gear to spearfish.

Well, drop me a line for some spearfishing when you guys go. Thanks again.

fishooter
04-07-2005, 08:17 AM
We usually start the season in May, Mako. You are welcome to join us. You will need a wetsuit. I know there are other spearfishermen on this forum whom I have not yet met but seem receptive to new guys, too. I'm free every other Friday now. Can you make Friday trips? Otherwise, Saturdays and Sundays work for me around family commitments. Ever been on a sit-on-top kayak?
Mark

Mako993
04-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the invite. No, Fridays aren't good for me, because I work from 12-9PM, but if you guys go around here in the early AM I could probably do that. Otherwise, Saturday or Sundays are good with me.

Guess I'll need to get a wetsuit - is there particular brand of wetsuit that you recommend over others? I've got a mask and fins already, I think, but not a speargun.

fishooter
04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
For freediving I like OMER. Picasso, Elios, Diveskin, and several other manufacturers all make good suits as well, but I have had good luck with OMER and they have a distributorship in Virginia Beach, VA. OMER also makes quality spearguns. If you need contact information let me know.

Check out:
piratescuba.com and
spearfishinggear.com

For scuba I'd recommend a custom suit from any of the quality manufacturers. The makers of my old scuba suits are no longer in the wetsuit business and I started diving drysuits for cold water many years ago so I'm sort of out of the scuba wetsuit loop.

Scuba suits tend to be stiffer than freedive suits and less warm because they have zippers. Freedive suits are more flexible, soft and warm but will compress more under pressure because of that softness.

Mark

Mako993
04-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out. I sent you a B-Mail. I've looked at Matt's site for wetsuits and talked to him personally, on that note.

Keep me posted on when you guys begin the spearo season. I'll be getting my wetsuit next month.

Do you recommend JBL guns?