View Full Version : Breakwater Tomorrow

Pages : [1] 2

Mako993
06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Heading to up to Breakwater tomorrow if anyone is interested. Will be leaving here about 0800, spear for several hours or so then head back to DC, hopefully with some fresh fish :]

Hit me back here or PM me if you're interested. I have a 4dr sedan so I can take a couple of spearos and their gear, including me and mine.

Distraction
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Where's Breakwater? whats it like?

Mako993
06-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Delaware, about 2 hours or a bit less from DC. If you're down in Richmond, that may be a bit of a stretch for you.

chesapeakeblend
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
where can i learn more about it? i am interested but have no experience or gear or friends that do it. hahaha. i am outta luck. where have you guys learned?

mike

Mako993
06-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Mike,

I'm a beginning spearfisher myself, but a lifelong angler and most recently a flyfisherman. I'm still learning how to spearfish, and just got all of the gear and what not myself, and some very useful advice from some folks on this board and on the Spearboard website as well. I did what you're doing now - just posting info to learn more, and reading more up on it on Spearboard.com and Deeperblue.net, sites like that.

Spearo
06-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Mike,

What do you think you may want to do in the future freedive and spearfish or scuba n spearfish?
Scuba get very expensive at first but as we get older (in my personal experience) the Nitrox on your back comes in very handy. Look..we all have to crawl before we can walk and IF YOU'RE READY for the water maybe try renting equipment before you buy it just see if you like the sport and if there're places near you where you can prictice, practice and practice then you're on the right track but always with a buddy!

Distraction
06-23-2005, 03:02 PM
What is breakwater like? Shore entry? What's the viz like? What's the current like? What species do you see there? Is there anything similar closer to this end of VA?

Mako993
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I haven't been there yet, nor anywhere in the salt spearfishing - I'm a newbie. But I hear there's shore entry and viz can be quite good. Species are tog, stripers and what not, probably some flounder. I don't know as if your neck of the woods - CBBT - would be a likeable comparison, but the place is pretty popular with the spearos, I think.

When is the next time you guys are heading out down there?

Distraction
06-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking of heading out 4th of July weekend sometime. The thing about the CBBT is that you need the boat to get there. I'd love to find a shore-entry place around here to go!

Mako993
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't have a boat either, so then it might be behoove you guys to travel up this way and we can spear the Breakwater next weekend one day.