View Full Version : 4th. of July week at OBX.

Pages : [1] 2

Spearo
07-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I got to Nags Head late th. night so first thing in the am. I headed to the Triangle (no gear) just to see what was up. When I got there there was a diver over the site and the tide was low so I came back later that afternoon ready to roll but found the surf with a heavy current and under very windy conditions but headed out anyway. It was cold and very tough getting there and when I did get to the spot the wind had picked up so much that the vis. was under one ft. and "diving" became simply impossible so up I went gragging a lg. float with a bag, line and all the diving gear.
The next day I headed out of OI and to the Oriental wreck (just 4 nm South) I got the metal right next to the wreck and to my surprise the water was only in the 60s but man was it clear, vis. around 10+. There was a lg. school of medium size Spades looking for something to do and some nice size Triggers around the perimeter but a bit out of range so I got two lg. Spades in the bag before they all moved on to a safer site. The following morning I headed out againg but this time to a wreck called the Advance just around 9nm from the inlet, it was time to get real. Conditions on the surface were ok for a 21ft. boat but about one nm before the site the swells started getting big and I just called it off, I stoped inside the bay on my way in for some bottom fishing but IT WAS DEAD!! Overall a slow week for divin with cold water temps. but before I left Nags Head I got several Dolfins from a friend who went offshore and that made up for it. By next week I''ll be ready for the CBBT.[excited]

seaweasel
07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
i'll take Chesapeake Bay over the OBX for inshore fishing and spearing most days. Your best bet is to get out to the towers. They are like the CLT but very few fish them.

seaweasel

Distraction
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Great post. It's good info to hear about the bad days as well as the good. At least you were using your head and making safe calls, instead of being ruled by your obsession. :)

Hoping to hit some shore-entry when I'm down in Corolla end of August. Would love to hear from anyone who knows the details of how and where to go, and will post a report.

BTW - Todfish, Mako993 and I are planning on hitting the CBBT on Saturday, July 23rd. Say hi if you're around, but we might have divers in the water, so hail 'Distraction' first.

Spearo
07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I wish I was able to make it saturday but I don't think I can. I need to get some work done in Nags Head saturday and be back by sunday, friday may be best for me, maybe I'll find more parking space near the 3rd. on friday. Have you been there in low tide, low vis. but any fish to be seen?

Spearo
07-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Anyone alse diving the CBBT Saturday?

It looks like a change of plans (as of today) for this weekend after all. We may be able to make the dives Saturday and do a bit of rod fishing too, around the 3rd. or 4th. rocks IF weather conditions permit!!
We'll hang a dive flag out on the Robalos antena and a few in the H2O if we'are in. Roll by and say hi if you're around.

Aim strait and to "the bone"[grin]

Distraction
07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
So far Todfish, Mako993 and I are still on for Saturday AM at the 3rd and 4th. SeaPro with aqua Bimini Top flying a dive flag on a big PVC pole. Spearo - you planning on scuba diving or freediving?

Spearo
07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm taking gear to scuba, freedive and rod fish for the other none diving crew (wife n kids) one of the kids may go alone diving/freediving just to look around. Looks like a good day.

I'm looking for some fiddlers here in town before I go but tha't next to impossible, I hate going all the way there and back just for that. Do you know any bait/tackle store that may have them?

Distraction
07-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Nope. Never used fiddlers for bait. You don't need bait. Just go down and stick 'em! :)

I guess for the non-swimmers, they need some bait, but I can't help ya there. A post on the regular forum would do the trick, I bet.

Well, we'll see you out there! Maybe we can make a bit of a floatilla to use the boats to help protect the folks in the water? I swear half the people out there don't know what a dive flag means. I was in the water when a boat cruised by...I was waving them away...like pushing them away and they just waved back. Fortunately we didn't have any other divers out that far, but still...

Spearo
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Last time I read the book it was 100ft. from a dive flag. The trick is to set up away from others with flags on each end and get a few hundred ft. of shore line to work on. I know what you mean about the flag, a few years ago I went down on a wreck and left one flag on a line about 50ft. behind the boat and another flag on the boats antena, when I came up about 20 minutes later there was another boat pulling my dive flag out of the water and into his boat, he sure got an ear full!! to this day I don't remember pulling my ancher up, that's how fast I was on him.

Do you have a S to S radio on your rig?

Distraction
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I've got a VHF on-board. We monitor 68.

Planning on bringing tanks tomorrow and not just freedive. I'd like to get further away from the rocks, into the sandy bottom where I might stick some Flounder. Have you ever done that out at the islands?