View Full Version : Free Rod & Reel for a Lucky Beginner! :-)

Pages : [1] 2

Bill Michelinie
01-28-2006, 09:32 PM
This club has been of such enormous help to me over the years in my growth as a saltwater fly fisherman. I have gotten so much out of being associated with it and all the good people that are members. [excited] Now I want to give something back by helping someone else to get started in this wonderful sport. So here is my offer.

I am going to give away a complete 9 weight saltwater fly fishing outfit, including rod, reel, backing, line, and leader, to someone who is getting started and needs equipment. Here is a picture of the set that I will be providing:

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B73536%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3245%3E%3B76%3E573%3EWS NRCG%3D32334962%3B%3B477nu0mrj

The rod is a 9 foot, 2 piece, 9 weight Penn International graphite model with a cordura tube. The reel is a Redington RS/2 large arbor model, fully machined and anodized aluminum, with a center disk drag. The line will be a clear intermediate, the backing 30# Micron, and the leader will be a 9 foot tapered nylon. The reel is new and the rod is experienced by me and has very good karma after having caught many fish! [tongue]

My plan is to place the names of all qualified people into a hat and draw a name to determine the winner. The date of the drawing has not been chosen yet but it will be in time for the start of our spring saltwater fishing here in Delaware.

Here are the few conditions that I am making in order to be qualified for the drawing:

1. You must be a member of The Saltwater Fly Anglers of Delaware.
2. You must be some level of a beginner at saltwater fly fishing. Previous experience at freshwater fly fishing or any other type of fishing does not disqualify someone. I will decide if someone is a beginner or not and my decision will be final![wink]
3. You must not already own a 9 weight saltwater fly fishing outfit.

That's it! These rules are subject to change by me and may be capricious and arbitrary! If you would like to be included, just post your name here!

Good luck!
[grin]

philiplee
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Billiam, that's a mighty nice thing you are doing there! Do I qualify if I promise to tie you some crease flies? [grin]

david biles
03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Bill met you at flyfest2006 in queenstown I joined that day and can't wait for the first meeting. Chad and I plan to be at the March meeting he is a new member also. The group sounds great can't wait to meet everyone.
tight lines,
Dave

Chad C
03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Bill,
I missed the Flyfest but I heard it was good. I'm a new member and Dave and I are looking forward to trying to catch some in '06 on flies. We'll be down at Lewes on Wednsday so I hope to meet you and some of the other guys then.
Come on Spring!
Chad

raybook
03-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Bill
My New Years resolution was to learn to be a saltwater fly fisherman. i went to the show at U of M in January and purchased a 5 wt on some bad advice. i recently joined the SFAOD and plan to be at the meeting on Wed. i am the beginner of beginners as i have never tried to cast a fly rod and hence feel I qualify. I do love to go striper fishing in the inlet and rips off Lewes but have never tried a fly rod. My fingers are crossed and i look forward to Wed and the rest of the season. Thanks to you for such a generous offer.
Ray Book [angel][angel]

Sam Stump
03-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Nice gesture Bill. But the giveaway is missing some flies. How can a beginner fish without flies? I'll throw in a half dozen mixed saltwater flies from my collection if you want. Email me where to send them and they'll be on their way!

Sam

Bill Michelinie
03-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Okay, so far I have "prequalified" three members for the drawing. They are David Biles, Chad Collier, and Ray Book. The wisenheimer (a Don-ism) Phil Lee was disqualified![grin]

I'm planning on holding the drawing at the April 12th meeting so I hope you guys can attend. In addition to this drawing, the April meeting includes the annual Grand Raffle drawing plus Captain Mark Samson (www.bigsharks.com) will be the guest speaker.

Plenty of time for other members to get in!

Bill Michelinie
03-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Okay, member Sam Stump has donated a dozen beautiful saltwater flies to the drawing. Yeah Sam!

http://images.snapfish.com/34655%3C4%3C9%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D3245%3E%3B76%3E573% 3EWSNRCG%3D32335844%3B3%3B48nu0mrj

ssharff
03-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi, I'm a novice fly fisherman and just joined the club this week and bought my first freshwater fly rod at the same time, from Salisbury Fly Shop. My goal is to learn the art of Saltwater fly fishing. So I want to throw my name into the hat. I plan on attending the next meeting. Steve

Bill Michelinie
03-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Hello Steve, welcome to the club!

Alrighty then, Steve Sharff of Georgetown, Delaware is confirmed for the drawing. That makes 4 which means each entry has a pretty darned good chance to win![excited]

The drawing will be held at the next meeting, 7:00 PM Tuesday April 12th.

http://images.snapfish.com/3465%3B87%3C4%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3245%3E%3B76%3E573%3E WSNRCG%3D32335%3A39%3C7948nu0mrj