Tidal Fish Forum banner

What do oil pressure gauges read

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Grady23 
#1 ·
I am fixing up a used boat with 2 200HP Mercs on it. The oil injection has been removed, which I think is a good thing. I am replacing all the gauges and have 2 oil presure gauges to install. My question is what are these gauges reading? Are they just for oil injection. Looking at the motor it appears that the sensor is hooked into the crank case. If this is just crankcase pressure what should it read?
I will have to buy sensors to use the new guages, since they have an electric sensor input. The ones I have removed have plastic tubes that run to the sensor.

Any information on this would be a great help. I see no need of adding gauges unless I understand what they are doing.

Thanks,

Tom Watkins

#2 ·
On a 2 stroke outboard with no oil injection, oil pressure guages are of no use ,,there is nothing to measure

both of my outboards with water pressure guages ,,evinrude and yamaha, use a tube connected dirrectly to the water jacket of the motor and then the tube is extended all the way to the guage, there is no sensors on any of my outboards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.