View Full Version : ? about Laptops and Internet coverage

lreops
11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Looking fer recommendations for a affordable (low price but not cheap as in quality and performance) laptop. Also one that will be good for various locations for internet connectivity. Being a truck driver and not always in prime wi-fi areas, what would one suggest for the most effective and productive way in receiving internet signals. Does not necessary have to have a large memory and speed does not have to be lightning fast, though I'm looking for one that is not real slow either.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any and all assistence.

Ron

onefishnfool
11-29-2009, 05:41 PM
The top name brands are all about the same, HP, Toshiba, Gateway, Dell. You can pick up a basic one for around $300-$400, unless you want something with more power then you are looking at around $800-$1000.

A wireless air card runs across cell towers, you pay for the card and service(sort of like a cell phone bill) but where ever there is a cell signal you will have internet. Otherwise the laptop will have a wireless card in it that will work with a wireless hotspot, at hotels, coffee shops etc.

Jim C
12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Ron, Last spring I picked up a Dell Inspiron and I am very happy with it. I only use it when I leave home, it sure does me a good job when I am in areas I need info on. Actually serves all my needs away from home. I paid $500.00 it was on sale down from $600.00. Has a 350 gig hard drive along with 4 gig of memory. I installed AVG (free) anti virus, Lava Soft's Adware, Spybot search and destroy, all free..... had window's defender in Vista. As I said works great for me. And now you can get some better buys at the big stores. Or online check out Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (http://www.newegg.com) Amazon, and Tigerdirect.com. A whole bunch of good buys out there now..ME I like my Dell Inspiron
Good Luck

PS I would stay away from a netbook, just my opinion

Capt Bob
12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
I just bought my second dell inspiron 1541 at Best buy for $549 ans its got 4GB of memory and a dual prfocessor w/ windows 7 ( Better than Vista) I had Vista on the last one...
if you have access to free wi-fi it will pick up fine if not..I went w/ cricket but I'm using it stationary... ( limited access across the us but it's $40 a month and no contract what so ever and online deals the broadband plug in modem is free w/ a mail in rebate)...I also use a wireless lazer mouse about $39 and find it easier than the built in drag and punch

lreops
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Thank you Jim C & Capt Bob for your replies.

Jim C, you said that you use it often away from home, who do you use for your internet carrier and do you get good coverage? You say that you have a Dell Inspiron. Is it the same as Capt Bob's, the 1541? It sounds like they are the same except for the OS, one being Vista and one Windows 7.

Capt Bob, you mentioned that you are using Cricket, I have not heard of that before and am assuming that you are referring to a internet carrier. I guess that after my post here, I will google it to see what I can find out about it.

For both of you, what do you usually find to be the battery life under normal conditions?

I guess for any and all other questions I have, I can also google it and find the answers.

In any case, again, thank you for your responses. I now have a direction to start looking.

Ron

rgminer
12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I have had AT&T wireless internet service for 4 years now. I have compared it to the Verizon service and I believe the Verizon service to be more reliable. AT&T has very limited service in the more rural parts of the country (even though they will tell you different). The only reason I haven't switched is that I don't have a contract with AT&T and Verizon will not give me the same deal. They want a 2 year commitment which I am not interested in doing. Technology advances much to fast and who knows what the next year will bring. Stay away from the budget providers such as Cricket. They are notorious for dropped signal and limited availability.

lreops
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your input, rgminer. I just got done checking out cricket and see that it would not work for me because of the limited coverage area.

Jim C
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Yes I use it when away from home and use the motel's WI-FI It provides as good a usage as the provider offers. My last trip to Gatlinburg TN, we were staying in town and when evening came the computer crept and then slowed down. That was the fault of the local provider not the computer. I used it at the beach and my son's home with excelent results. Yes it is the same as Capt Bob's. My battery life is about 2 hours, however I am almost always connected so that may not be an accurate indication on my part.
It's running Vista, I have window's 7 but for my needs right now I think I'll just keep 7 tucked away. Another little tip. I have been subscribing to what is now called (Smart Computing) magazine, it's great down to earth top of the line publication. A subscription enable you to use their Question & Answer segment, they also have a toll free number where you actually will talk to a live technician, they will guide you through computer problems.
I have never used this service, although a few people in our computer club has and were very satisfied with results.. I use the Q&A often and find it to be an extremely valuable aid in computing.
try the website you just might like it, Tech Support, Computer Virus, Computer Security, Computer Virus Information, Home Network (http://www.smartcomputing.com)

onefishnfool
12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
If you are looking for something to mainly surf the internet while on the road get a netbook. You can still do wireless broadband and the battery life is around 10 hours with a 6 cell battery. They are small though and can't do heavy processing but good for internet usage. You can pick one up for around $350.

Paul