View Full Version : Specks soon?

Pages : [1] 2

bullisland
04-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I may be wrong but I believe that the speck bite should be on shortly, atleast here on the lower Chesapeake. Anyone anxious? What's your setup for these guys, rod reel setup, braid, mono. What's your favorite way to go after them? Cut bait, soft plastics, hardbaits, topwater: what's your poison? I'll be using my Back River Custom rod Shimano Saros 2500 20 lb. braid and Zara Spook topwater and some mirro lures.

Shayne

Fishman
04-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I also fish the lower CB rod would be a 6 1/2 to 7 ft st Croix md action with a Diawa Laguna 2500 with 8 to 10 Lb test line. Still learning baits but have had best lusk with Burkley Gulp Swimming Mullets in Chartruese also some other types of rubber type grubs on a red head jig head from 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

I fish from the shore line so there are not many strikes as you guys get in your boat.

jamann4
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
7ft ugly stick custom, penn 4400ss and I generally approach the specks the same way I would approach bass in freshwater. At first and last light I like to toss topwaters like a zara and the rest of the time I'll throw a variety of soft plastics on gotcha jig heads.

Tangier
05-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I would like to catch some nice specks this year. I just bought a boat last year and the best I could do was speck's between 6''s to 12"'s and most were caught on minnows. Any help as far as stategies, baits, terrains, etc. would greatly be appreciated. I usually launch out of Rumbly (Manokin River)or Coulbourne Creek (Big Annemessex's River).

'[;/

jamann4
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Anyone catch any specks yet? I have been reading mixed reports for the past couple of weeks from the middle peninsula and eastern shore areas. I have only tried a few times and have only caught one fish about 20" weekend before last. currious to see if other folks have been out and catching. I'll be off the fishing scene for a while but hope to get back on track for the fall bite, so I'll be living vicariously through everyone elses reports. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend and gets a chance to wet a line.

Specks39
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
jamann they are here as you know... but I doubt anyone will be spilling the specifics:whistlingatu:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/nimrod34/015-7.jpg

jamann4
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice Speck! Glad someone is catching. Youre right about the specifics, took me much exploring and a few years to find the spots I like to fish. I don't even bother asking for any other info other than if anyone is catching when it comes to specks. Likely to get sent on a wild goose chase if you do. I likely won't get out till the fall bite, but might get a pass to sneak out once or twice before then. Will post up if i do any good.

!AvidAngler!
07-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Jesses Hunting (http://scottcroner.blogspot.com)

jamann they are here as you know... but I doubt anyone will be spilling the specifics:whistlingatu:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/nimrod34/015-7.jpg

Thats a nice eating size spec there: Although I am a little late on this post. (just noticed the date)
Avid

Coastal1
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Normally, 7' med action rod w/stratic 5000 spooled w/30 pp. I've always been successful using grubs. This year I've changed to 10lb braid, flouro leader and armed with just enough information to get into trouble I'm going to try to learn to use Mirror Lures. I've fished them some in the past with no success, all that's changing this year :-). Stand by for the pics...

greenline8
09-27-2010, 04:14 PM
They are here and they are thick, any shallow water around Tangier Sound, caught 30 last week.....all small.