View Full Version : Gear Question

Pages : 1 [2]

uncle phill
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I really can't remember which part went up. It was several years ago, when they first came out. But it only last a few trips. If you only targeting smaller stuff, it'll suffice.

The curado is a much better reel IMHO, but you need to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex if you want it to really perform. Abu revo series already has the carbontex washers factory installed and is an out-of-the-box-saltwater-ready reel.

Fishman
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
The Coastal is a Saltwater reel and there is no need to upgrade the drag washers on this reel.

uncle phill
05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
The Coastal is a Saltwater reel and there is no need to upgrade the drag washers on this reel.

I'd like to see it with a 40" rock. I am very suspicious the drag would not slip smoothly. I expected my now no longer owned BPS Carbonlite to perform miserably on larger rock, but not my curado and citica. They are now much better with replacement drag washers. The drag slips smoothly. Same for the revo.

However, if you're not targeting big fish like 30-40 lb rock, it should work adequately without problems. I think tackletour.com had fairly good comments on the Coastal.

tenchi_the_fish
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
The only thing you have to worry about is balancing the set-up. You can put a 30# class reel but only weighs 4 oz on a 10-20lb class rod and have it balance out just fine. Just dont go targeting tuna with the thing.

rla69
11-10-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm ignorant, so bear with me. But I'm kind of curious as to what the line class rating has to do with the cast-ability. And why would there be a problem with a 12# - 14# reel on an 8# to 15# rod? I would think that you'd be fine using 14# test line on that combo. On the surface I would think that, so long as you used line within the limits stated on the rod and the reel, and adjusted the reel for your lure, and use a lure within the recommended limits of the rod. . . you'd be "OK". Please explain?

Thanks

My thoughts exactly,where is the problem with that combo?