Tidal Fish Forum banner

White Breasted Nuthatch

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HJS 
#1 ·
WOW!
This site is pretty much dead. It's been a long time since I last checked in or posted, and not much has been happening. I can't believe with all the photo heads out there that no one is brave enough to post an image now and then. Maybe we can get things started with a few images of a White- Breasted - Nuthatch taken yesterday using a 40D Canon body with a 500mm Tamron mounted on the back.

Bird White breasted Nuthatch Beak Feather Wing

Bird Nature Organism Beak Feather

See less See more
#2 ·
As spring approaches, activity at my bird feeder has fallen off a fair bit. I still have a 5 gallon bucket of special mix bird feed to get rid of. I'm sure the chickadees, titmice and nuthatches will be at the feeder until it's all gone. I'll probably start weening them off bird seed in another week or two... don't want to go cold turkey on the poor tweetie-birds.

BTW, anyone ever seen a piebald robbin??? My son-in-law took a picture of this one a week ago in his backyard near Hedgesville, WV. Weird looking bird.

Bird Fence Woodpecker Wire fencing Feather

#3 ·
HJS
This year at the feeder has been different that's for sure. Still working on the same 100 lbs. of seed I started the season with. Last year I had an outstanding selection of common and not so common birds all winter at the feeders up tell late April. Deer, on the other have been hanging around all winter, to a point of being a problem, tearing up the lawn with their hooves.

Taken last week

Plant Deer Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

#4 ·
We had a normal year at the feeder, nothing new or unusual. None of the grosbeaks showed up and no common redpolls.

Deer have ripped into our lawn too and butchered our azaleas early in the winter, something they haven't done for a couple of years. I heard the area where we live had a poor acorn crop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.