View Full Version : Elite 5, hds, dragonfly or 597ci hd?

enordrum
10-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Trying to outfit my new to me boat...I've looked at the elite 5 and dragonfly in person, if there is anyone who have tried any of these...any regrets? I do like the humminbird paddle wheel for determining speed with current factored in, I like that dragonfly has chirp, like price of elite 5...just don't want to be disappointed with any glaring drawbacks. Maybe I'll consider hds. Your thoughts and input will be appreciated, thanks!

Lone Ranger
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Bought a Elite 5 DSI, for a back up.West Marine had them for $300.. awhile back.So far I'm not impressed with it.My Old Raymarine C-80 beats hand down!Some things are auto adjust with no provisions to manual adjust.

enordrum
11-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I opted for the elite 5 hdi, price was $170 less than dragonfly and I liked that it has GPS/sonar and di on same screen. Hopefully I'll be happy with it...I'll post back after I've had it on the water.

Alley Cat
11-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I have both a new Lowrance elite 7 HDI and a Dragonfly on my boat. I have only been out once with the Dragonfly sonar and downscan is superior to the Elite of course I like the larger screen on the Elite, but I have had an ongoing fight with Lowrance about Navionics chip compatabilty. Their adds claim that the unit is compatible with Fish and Chips (sonar charts) using latest software rev. I have talked to their tech support three times and have got three different answers ( the last was they know they have a problem and it will be fixed in November).