View Full Version : Want light trolliung outfits.

b.pulaski
12-18-2016, 07:25 PM
I have been aboard local guided outfits that catch 20 pound fish on tackle that is designed for 50 pound fish. There is no fight!
\
I am looking for trolling gear that actually provides a fight between the fishermen and the fish. IE: I KNOW THERE IS A FISH ON THE LINE AND IT IS ACTUALY PROVIDING A FIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I AM LOOKING FOR LIGHT WEIGHT TROLLING GEAR......... I WANT TO KNOW THERE IS A FISH AT THE OTHER END OF THE ROD!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN ON MANY GUIDED TRIPS WHRE A 30 POUND FISH IS REELED IN LIKE A PERCH, YOU JUST CRANK THE HANDLE AND THE FISH COMES IN. THIS IS NOT MY IDEA OF FISHING! SOME SPORT, SOME INTRIQUE. LIGHT WEIGHT TACKLE FOR TROLLING!!!!! WHAT IS THE COMBINATION?

DaveHuz
12-20-2016, 12:36 PM
I have been using Penn 3/0 (IGFA 20# class) rods with Penn 320 levelwind reels since the mid 80s and don't troll big umbrellas or heavy lures. With a big fish, I clear the other rods and go dead boat if I'm out classed with tackle. Not sure whether many guys use much lighter tackle but I expect it can be done in the rivers and large creeks. Out on the big water, you need gear that can get down to the fish necessitating heavier tackle. Like you, I enjoy the pullage and found that the LTJ technique is more fun chasing big fish on light tackle. There will be a lot others chiming in here and there are a lot of opinions out there but the 3/0s and 320s work for me. Don't like the broomsticks with the winches on them.