View Full Version : radar question

Pages : [1] 2 3

hackeyfly
08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Is it possible to pick up rain showers on a lower end marine radar unit? Sure would be nice to know if a T-storm is looming on these hazy, hazy summer days(today being the exception[wink])
Thanks,
Pat in Joppa

27 sailfish
08-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Tough call-I use a 4k unit closed dome.It sees storms real well-even very light drizzle.Don't know what you consider low end.

hackeyfly
08-05-2006, 03:51 PM
27 sailfish originally wrote:
Tough call-I use a 4k unit closed dome.It sees storms real well-even very light drizzle.Don't know what you consider low end.

This one is on Ebay for $500, the price is right for me, I guess it is low end......FURUNO FR-1942MK2 6kW, 64NM Marine Radar System
Pat in Joppa

stevej00
08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a strong unit....6kw is strong, 2kw is lower power, 4kw is minimum for seeing weather and birds....

I read recently (I think in the coastal fisherman or prop talk) that the sending unit (per-say) radome has a limited life span to it (I beleive it was a clicker limit (again I forget the terms) . It came down to a limited number of firings the radar can make. If there's anyway to speculate the age of the unit and use to determine some rough hours, if they are up there then I'd know the price of new radome to cover yourself just in case.

For 500 and if it's in good shape I say your heading in a good direction. Furuno shops are located in all of the prime spots.

hackeyfly
08-05-2006, 04:12 PM
It's a new unit in the box with factory warranty. Too good to be true?
Pat in Joppa

Lone Ranger
08-05-2006, 04:36 PM
hackeyfly originally wrote:
It's a new unit in the box with factory warranty. Too good to be true?
Pat in Joppa
Pat....BEWARE!!!!!!There have been alot of Hi-Jacked Sellers sites on E-Bay selling Marine Electronics.If they only take a check ,Money Order.or especially Wester Union...............RUN!

Another thing is if the 'Supposed' Seller tells you to send questions to an E-Mail address OTHER THAN the Actual Sellers 'Contact Me' address.Again BEWARE!!If it seems to good to be true,it probably is!!!![Mike]

tolmaz
08-05-2006, 05:22 PM
I think in order to 'see' a rain shower, you would need an open array vs. a radome. Not sure of the particuliar unit you are looking at but the open array will 'see' better than the radome. check the antenna that comes with it. Most smaller boats opt for the radome. much cheaper

Ravens16
08-05-2006, 06:27 PM
The guy I go offshore with has Furuno 1834 Nav Net. I think it has a range of about 35nm and is 4 kw, nice big screen. It will pick up any storms in the area. But this baby was about $3,500 without some of the extra stuff. 6kw for $500, something smells >)))))'>
Were you out and about today? Like glass, well almost[grin]
DAve

hackeyfly
08-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Didn't get out today, Dave..thinking of heading out here in the next hour for a quick run before Justin's mom shows up. Here is the unit....... http://cgi.ebay.com/FURUNO-FR-1942MK2-6kW-64NM-Marine-Radar-System_W0QQitemZ200014670740QQihZ010QQcategoryZ409 64QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Pat in Joppa

Lone Ranger
08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
ITS A SCAM FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTICE the Contact me at an AOL address and 'Only 500 USD'I did'nt even look any further!!

SCAM...SCAM....SCAM..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact E-Bay and report it.....$100.00 says the Sellers site was Hi-Jacked!!!!!!!!!!!!