View Full Version : Suggestions for 24nm radar for 23 footer?

2200v
10-06-2006, 05:59 AM
We are wanting to install a 24 nm radar on our 23 foot dusky with a hardtop. I am looking for suggestions on both brands and models. Will we have to have a arch or can we mount directly to the top. More height = higher storage costs. Thanks in advance, justin.

Capt.Nick
10-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I have a 24NM Sitex Radar unit that I had mounted on my 25 Grady Hardtop.The reason you want to raise the Radome ht.is to keep it above anyones head while it's on because the radiation is dangerous to you eyes & head..You can not only detect boats and other objects in fog but it helps you find clusters of boats that may be on a hot spot miles away and from a differen't direction from your headed course.They can also save you from heading into an unknown squall.I once waited the passing of a killer squall off Chincoteague in calm,sunny waters to pass by before returning to OC with a party of Tuna Fishermen.We were 40 n mi.out and the storm was 20 mi'from shore passing S to N.We would have headed directly into the storm without knowing it without radar.Several boats went down that day in that summer squall.

fishabout
10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
BTT
Anybody out there with any opinions??
I'm looking to upgrade my electronics and any input would be helpful.

Any experience out there with Raymarine C80 Digital Chartplotter, 4KW Raydome, DSM300 Sounder Module and Navonics Gold Chart??

bbogue
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I have the Furuno 1712 and like it just fine. It's a grayscale model but works OK for my purposes. It brought me home in the fog last year from below the NC/VA line all the way to Rudee in visibility less than 100'. Boats without radar followed me in. It was comforting to see how small the boats were that I was picking up. I also used it to run to the Point from OI once in the fog, not that I'm advocating that...I assumed (wrong) that the fog would lift early. Next time it's that foggy at the inlet my boat stays on the trailer. My radar dome sits on an 8' high stand on top of my T-Top on my Bluewater 2350. Furuno would be my recommendation.

Bill
Miss Ginya

Brian Hogge
10-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I use the Navionics Gold chip, in my Lowrance, and I like it just fine and worth the $$. I'm in the same boat as you , almost. I bought a Lowrance radar ready unit, and I've recently heard a few compalints about the radar capabilities of Lowrance. statring to look elsewhere for a stand alone radar unit.

fish-on
10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I have a C-80 on my boat and i really like this unit, i am going to add a radar in the near future. I would like to put a stand alone unit, but they are hard to find. Doug.

reboot
10-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a used 24nm radar open array if you need it (cheap). Just installed new one.

mike

804-852-6925

Reid
10-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I've got a c-70 with chip and digital sounder module, need to purchase radom though. I only used it about 4 months, the digital sounder can't be beat in my opinion, I'll let it go cheap if you're interested, its just setting in the closet.

karlista
10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Mount it on a 5 inch scan strut

Heaver
10-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I also have the Furuno 1712 radar unit installed.

Mine is mounted directly to the hardtop without and arch of any kind. I have not had any problems with the unit, and have used it numerous times in night time conditions, and even in clear weather. Returning from offshore on a clear day I saw returns from rain showers associated with a passing squal line of storms. With radar I was able to thread my way between storms with no problems. And like someone aready mentioned - easy to spot of fleet a boats that is otherwise beyond visual range.

Lou