Fishing Forums Saltwater Fishing Fly Fishing and Fishing Reports - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

Re: Chesapeake Rock's or Thrill's Observation:

I experienced exactly the same things as TH-!!! Not only fewer schools but much smaller fish, illegals taken with a treble hooks and killed - no other way to get to your meager 2, barely 18" fish limit. This is not fishing. It is bad management, a form of management that enhances legal killing juvenile fish. They say they release, but we know how difficult it is to release a 17 inch rock that will live which has swallowed a Mustad treble hook and a small spot! Certainly NOT sport fishing/management.
    In my opinion, a lot of it has to do with your experience. Similar to a job interview. I started in the early 1980's before the moratorium. Then resumed after the moratorium. Since then, perhaps about 2002, theDNR Biologists have not been paid, indeed they are relieved of duties when they write this. Understand??? The fishery has started it's death call rapidly. What you catch today is laughable to just 10 years ago! Sometimes I have to reread DNR fisheries reports . Everything has changed DRAMATICALLY. Take some advice from older people. They are right on. Your minimal experiences are only relative to a very small time period. What you say I never said before as I had the stats. Go look at them. Then listen to experienced people. Study population abundance over time, cup, and forget your own agenda. Look at 25/50/100 year water quality variables .
    You'll see this fishery has virtually been killed.

My name is Richard Wheeler, Maryland DNR Biologist , Wetlands survey 1970-1974- then National Marine Fisheries Service, aka, Captrichie on Tidal Fish. I always identify myself if I comment . Period. I don't label others, either. And I don't care what the insecure say about that.

I'm not political, and I doubt Chesapeake Rock is either. Truthful Observatiovations stand without a weak political or philosophical cover . However, tagging someone as a "liberal democrat" lowers you to sound like a Washington DC political.

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.