Fishing Fly Fishing How to Fishing and Fishing Reports at Tidal Fish - Virginia Saltwater Report Weekly Summary: Feb 9 2007
  • Virginia Saltwater Report Weekly Summary: Feb 9 2007

As we continue with an incredible striped bass season, I do not believe my ears. I have actually witnessed anglers telling me they are tired of catching stripers! How spoiled become catching fish up to 60-pounds.
    Normally we are suffering from fishing withdrawal by this time of year, with cold water temperatures holding the striped bass far south in deeper water.

But, big striped bass are still available in the bay and all along the ocean front. The same hot spots continue to produce quality fish such as the high rise section of the CBBT, the Eastern Shore, the 4A buoy, Cape Henry, Sandbridge, and False Cape. Randy Dame of Smithfield, Virginia caught a nice 62-pound rockfish while trolling the 4A area. Trolling for these brutes is proving very effective with many anglers also picking up nice flounder to boot. Those boaters targeting flatfish as a change of pace are finding some success along deeper channels, especially drifting near Cape Henry. Two boats drifting for flounder reported catches of over 16 fish each, while other boats weighed in several state citations

The offshore seabass bite is in full swing. If the weather permits, a trip to deep water wrecks will provide plenty of action. These tasty fish will take most any offering and provide a respectable fight for a bottom dweller.
    Chad Stoker of Chesapeake, Virginia weighed in a nice 5-pound 4-ounce jumbo he pulled from an offshore wreck. A few chopper bluefish are still on the prowl near these wrecks, along with annoying spiny dogfish which will happily take your bait. Squid flavored Fishbites are a great choice to help keep these pests at bay. Some deep water locations and wrecks are also holding blueline tilefish. Tilefish provide a great-tug of-war, and some nice sized fish are available. But to earn a Virginia state citation for this year, you must reach ten pounds which is a very large tilefish, and a long run. James Hodge of Chesapeake, Virginia managed a whopper 16-pounder while deep dropping off Virginia Beach. A few spotty catches of grouper are also trickling in form these same areas.

Bottom bouncers do not necessarily need to head offshore for a good catch of bottom fish. Near shore wrecks and bay structures are still producing excellent numbers of big tautog. Many anglers are reporting limits of fish ranging from three to ten pounds in these areas. Favorite tog spots include the tubes of the artificial islands of the Bay Bridge tunnel, Cape Henry, and the Chesapeake Light Tower structures. The Triangle wrecks should become more productive within a few weeks.

Speckled trout are available in the Elizabeth River, where anglers are catching fish casting and on live bait. The favorite lure color of late is the popular electric chicken.

Julie

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.