Fishing Fly Fishing How to Fishing and Fishing Reports at Tidal Fish - Fishing in Maryland Fisheries Service is Scoping Changes to Commercial Striped Bass Fishery. Give your feedback
  • FISHING NEWS: Maryland Fisheries Service is Scoping Changes to Commercial Striped Bass Fishery. Give your feedback

Maryland Illegal Gill Nets Mayland Chesapeake Bay Fishing
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources (MD DNR) is planning to implement both regulatory and administrative changes to the commercial striped bass fishery in response to the high level of illegal netting that occur ed this past winter in Maryland's Chesapeake. Ideas for changes in both of these categories can be referenced at the link listed below. MD DNR said that given the public scrutiny of the striped bass commercial gill net fishery, it is the Departmentís goal to have regulations effective when the gill net season opens on December 1, 2011.

From Maryland DNR: The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is working to achieve a series of core management principals in each of its fisheries. These are:

Sustainability
    Harvest
    Accountability
    Enforceability
    Cost Recovery

Sustainability refers to the ability of the fishery to endure over time; to remain productive and viable both biologically, ecologically and economically. To ensure sustainability in Marylandís commercial striped bass fishery, it is essential that all harvested striped bass are accurately accounted for through harvester and check station reports. The rules and requirements that DNR implements to ensure harvest accountability must be functionally enforceable with significant consequences for non-compliance. Finally, to be economically sustainable, the commercial fishery must support itself by ensuring that costs for management and enforcement measures are covered by the watermen themselves.

The Department has determined that the commercial striped bass fishery in the Maryland portion of Chesapeake Bay is not currently meeting these management principals. In February of 2011, Maryland experienced significant levels of illegal commercial fishing activity for striped bass. More then 26,000 pounds of fish were confiscated from illegally set gill nets. DNR is also concerned that measures to ensure harvest accountability are not sufficient to prevent the filing of inaccurate reports by check stations or by individual fishermen. Furthermore, there remains substantial mis-use and illegal application of striped bass tags.

As a result of this evaluation, the Department is planning to implement both regulatory and administrative changes to the commercial striped bass fishery. Ideas for changes in both of these categories are listed below. Given public scrutiny of the striped bass commercial gill net fishery, it is the Departmentís goal to have regulations effective when the gill net season opens on December 1, 2011.

The Department presented these ideas to Marylandís Tidal and Sport Fisheries Advisory Commission in mid-July, and is now seeking broader public input through this web posting. Specifically, the Department is interested in learning about any concerns surrounding each idea; and about issues that we may have missed.

Please submit comment by August 10, 2011. Comments may be submitted using the electronic email link on this website, by email directly to [email protected], by fax at 410-260-8310, or by mail to Striped Bass, Regulatory Staff, MDNR Fisheries Service, 580 Taylor Ave.B-2, Annapolis, MD 21401. Based on public comment received, a regulatory proposal will be prepared, and is scheduled to be submitted to the General Assemblyís Administrative, Executive, Legislative Review Committee (AELR) on August 17, 2011. A formal public comment period will follow submission of the regulatory proposal.

Click here to view Regulatory and Administrative Ideas.

To view the information presented to the DNR Striped Bass Industry Workgroup and to the Sport and Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commissions, please click here.
    The MD DNR page dedicated to the scoping here.
    (picture of one of the many illegal gil nets found in Maryland's Chesapeake his past winter.)

That's all the fresh fishing news for today. I hope you had a good weekend and get out and doing some fishing today.

Brandon, Chief Angler
    Menhaden Fishing Omega Protein ASMFC
    TidalFish.com, Over 60,287 anglers talking "All Fishing, All the Time!"

Book your Chesapeake Bay fishing charter today with the Solomon's Charter Boat Association. They will put you on the big fish! click here

Comments 10 Comments
      Mugsmaster -
      I wonder how much of that catch was wasted? Just sayin!
      Brandon -
      My understanding was that it was donated to a food bank, so it did not go to waste.
      Hunter -
      I have incorporated my feedback in an email and it has been sent. That's for posting this Brandon
      Lets Rock -
      Its amazing to me they would instantly assume that it was commercial fishermen that set the nets when no one was ever caught. If they were set by some anti watermen types that were looking to make watermen look bad, it looks like what they set out to do worked.
      iFishMD -
      Lets Rock, even the watermen community believes the nets were set by them. If they didnt, why would their representative ask for an amensty period to recover their nets...
      Lets Rock -
      B-faithful, I don't care who thinks waterman set the nets, they should know before they vilify a group of people. no one should ever be accused of something just because someone thinks they know who did it. If you ever watch shows like dateline there are many times when people are wrongly accused of things
      scottj -
      Lets Rock, who else owns gill nets? I am sure they are not cheap. But now that you bring it up you mite have uncovered a conspiracy to make watermen look bad. Yeah thats it, they were not catching the fish to sell and profit from them. It was a group of "anti watermen types" trying to villify the watermen. Yeah, they spent tens of thousands of dollars on gear to make watermen look bad. ARE YOU KIDDING? Or are you just that naive? Nobody thinks every waterman poaches and breaks the rules. It is a shame that the honest guys feel like they are being punished for the actions of a few. I would suggest those who feel that way start policeing their own. It is hard to beleive someone does not know something. The poachers are actually stealing from the watermen. The limits are reduced and the honest guy loses out by not haveing the chance to catch and sell the poached fish.
      J bones -
      No nets in the bay. Only way to do it. I don't see how ANY of the proposed strategies will impact ILLEGAL net use.
      talbot fisherman -
      Quote Originally Posted by scottj View Post
      Lets Rock, who else owns gill nets? I am sure they are not cheap. But now that you bring it up you mite have uncovered a conspiracy to make watermen look bad. Yeah thats it, they were not catching the fish to sell and profit from them. It was a group of "anti watermen types" trying to villify the watermen. Yeah, they spent tens of thousands of dollars on gear to make watermen look bad. ARE YOU KIDDING? Or are you just that naive? Nobody thinks every waterman poaches and breaks the rules. It is a shame that the honest guys feel like they are being punished for the actions of a few. I would suggest those who feel that way start policeing their own. It is hard to beleive someone does not know something. The poachers are actually stealing from the watermen. The limits are reduced and the honest guy loses out by not haveing the chance to catch and sell the poached fish.
      Honest guys know who but it's the old tattle-tale in the school yard problem. In fact the savvy DNR guys know but can't prove it. Illegal netting hurts everybody.
      HYDRAFISH -
      ban all nets make comms hook and line only put poachers in jail

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.