Yellow Perch Bill Hearing - Page 15
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question

So...what happened with the GAs hearing on SB 702 today?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by soggy dog View Post
    So...what happened with the GAs hearing on SB 702 today?

...Anyone.......anyone???

Unhappy Can't Understand the Silence

---The Y P Senate Committe hearing was yesterday at 1pm--I rushed to my computer this AM , to read the Outcome & possibly get an accurate account of the Proceedings & Comments -- Its 0745 & nothing has been posted , Just Curious as this was a well viewed post & the outcome was Anticipted ---geo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'm pretty sure tha meeting went quite late, Capt Geo. I'm sure there will be a full account soon.

It would have been better had there been a better showing by recreational fishermen, but the CCA representatives presented a strong case based on facts and science. The watermen were well represented and based their case on emotion, but they have a good record of succeeding with this technique: Maryland tradition, our hungry families, etc.

Chief Angler / Moderator

I wrote about this whole "user group" issue in one of my fishing reports a few weeks ago. Maybe you read it, maybe you did not.
    Regardless, it talks about some things Hammer, Robert and Chum have mentioned. Forget about all your rhetoric about simple math with how much each user group represents. If you go there we can start talking economics and anyone who can do simple math will see that the recreational fishermen in the state are worth, on an economic impact basis, far more then the commercials. So set that aside because that debate will be a short one.

Instead of talking through the voice of the recreational angler or the commercial angler, how about thinking about taking the perspective of talking through the "fish's" stand point. Don't we as humans have some moral responsibility to make sure that a population of fish is not wiped out? Wouldn't it be nice to have yellow perch around in 20 years? If you keep whacking them with "efficient" nets there will be none. I was pretty young 20 years ago, but my grandfather used to tell me about the days when there were so many oysters that no one thought they would run out. Same with crabs. in fact I envy his stories when he talked about that in the bars in Baltimore they did not have just nuts out, but small crab balls as free "bar nuts". Want to dismiss both of those species, well then let's talk about sturgeon. Remember the days of the great sturgeon fishing in the bay. Maybe some of you do, but most will not. Wonder why they are not around anymore? I would prefer not to be talking like this about yellow perch or any other species in 20 years. I think it just makes sense to not whack spawning fish with nets from the fish's perspective. Whether you are a commercial or recreational angler I think it would be really hard to argue that point.

Brandon

Brandon,
    You be the first soldier to put down your perch rod and the rest will follow. As far as economic impact............I do not think the recreational fisherman will stop fishing all together if they could not or were not allowed to catch perch. When the rockfish were outlawed, the bottom never dropped out and people continued to fish............and people will continue to fish now. You act as if the state stands to loose BILLIONS if we can't/won't buy shad darts, bobbers and minnows. Just fish for something else. If these fish can not handle commercial harvesting, they can not handle recreational harvesting either. JMO

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by R D View Post
    I don't condone the loss of full time commercial watermen anywhere. Too valuable a resource. Our food supply in this country is already controled by other countrys,we will see at some point in the future that supply cut off,as we lose these fishermen and fisherys we also lose the knowlege and experiance.Remember we are paving over our farmlands and cattle ranches everyday.
    We ought to set something straight right now. What data do you or anyone else have that the Y. Perch fishery has any meaningful impact on food supplies? What information do you have to counter the myriad reports/studies/etc. that show that commercial fishing in general can be sustained at present rates without effectively wiping out the wild seafood supply? What has changed recently that makes irrelevant the historical of fact of stock after stock being wiped out by commercial fishing? Every stock that has been targeted by modern commercial fishing interests has become wiped out or nearly so.

Wild seafood is not a sustainable food supply. It is not the answer to feeding the earth, going forward. I wish it were, but we need to wake up and understand that, if we are to have a future with seafood (other than as a super-expensive novely at fancy restaurants), then it is going to have to be through aquaculture. That is no different than the long-ago realization that agriculture, rather than wild plants, must supply our vegitarian diet and domestic foul/mammals, rather than hunting, must supply our meat/poultry diet. There's just too many of us for it to happen any other way.

As for paving our farmlands, water quality, etc., are you willing to pay higher taxes, more fees, etc. to either buy the development rights for this land or pay lawyers to fight in court against those who will scream about "property rights"? How about more fees for stormwater management/repair? If not, then please don't raise issues that you are unwilling to pay to solve. Water quality is a serious issue, but simply complaining about it and using it as an excuse for inaction on any other front is not helpful.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Cam 2 -

We pretty much have laid down the our rods, 5 fish per day limit, barbless hooks, 9" fish compared to the commercial fish being 8 1/2 " and no limit. I am all for these restrictions and even stricter limitations if it is better for the species. But fair is fair, and the 95% allocation to the commercial sector is unfair.

Brandon-

You are seeing through different eyes, resource first, what a wonderful concept.

Do you guys know that 75 years ago, yellow perch were more prevelant in the bay than white perch ?? Where are they now? What happened ?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cam2 View Post
    Brandon,
    You be the first soldier to put down your perch rod and the rest will follow. As far as economic impact............I do not think the recreational fisherman will stop fishing all together if they could not or were not allowed to catch perch. When the rockfish were outlawed, the bottom never dropped out and people continued to fish............and people will continue to fish now. You act as if the state stands to loose BILLIONS if we can't/won't buy shad darts, bobbers and minnows. Just fish for something else. If these fish can not handle commercial harvesting, they can not handle recreational harvesting either. JMO
    …turns out I have a few more minutes today to attempt to address this misconception, too, so here goes:

As I’ve recounted many times before on this board, I’ve fished the Severn for Yellow Perch for over a quarter century, now (wow…that sounds like a long time as I type it). The point being, my “buddies" and I know something about locating and catching these creatures. We have gone from filling drywall buckets with them in just a couple hours of effort, to catching (and now releasing) maybe a dozen or two per season. I will readily concede that, with the Severn, the reason for the decline is not the commercial watermen; it is us. It is development, lost spawning areas, and people like me stuffing drywall buckets with them. Regardless of the cause, however, we have at least learned from our errors, have supported sharp restrictions on ourselves, and are now working to fix a severely depleted Severn.

In the late 90’s, Harley Spier at DNR asked me to help the DNR set-up a Yellow Perch survey in the Severn. Shortly thereafter, I met DNR’s Dale Weinrich and showed him where, based on my historical catch data, DNR could set its fyke nets to intercept and record what remained of the spawning Yellow Perch population.

What I learned over the next several years shocked me. On some days during the height of the spawning run, the fyke nets captured so many Yellows that three men could not haul the load into the boat. Even a light haul yielded more Yellows than my friends and I combined could catch in a season. One heavy haul yielded more Perch than I could catch in a season even during the “heydays” of ’81 and ’82.

Given that these were many of the same locations where my fishing success had dropped-off considerably over the years, I concluded that my friends and I must have simply lost our angling mojo. I was then told, however, that fyke nets, when well-placed to intercept tightly massed Perch during the spawning run, can yield nice hauls even in a depleted river -- at least until those nets have captured most of the fish. The nets are just that efficient.

As I have said before, I support tight restrictions on rec anglers, too, and do not discount the harm that recs can cause to a fishery. I am glad that the Severn, Magothy and other systems do not allow commercial or recs to keep Y. Perch. But do not tell me that recs impact Yellow Perch to the degree that even a handful of fyke nets can. I have seen the results and it is not even close. Regardless of who you think started the Y. Perch demise, fyke nets will finish the job if they continue to be allowed during spawning runs.
    Last edited by goose70; 03-16-2007 at 10:04 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast