Concrete Work on My Front Steps
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Concrete Work on My Front Steps

I've got to do some concrete work on my front steps before I can put new railings in. The corners of the top landing have been broken off all four corners by a previous owner of this house. I want to rebuild those corners and improve the overall texture of the old concrete on that landing and the steps. I've been told there is such a thing as "epoxy cement" that is ideal for this type of repair, but I can't seem to find any at the big box home improvement stores. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Bob H.'s Avatar

Good luck. I tried that with my front steps and ended up having new brick steps overlayed on the concrete. Now the bricks are being a pain, but at least I can carve and point the cement work again.

The stuff you're talking about is top 'n' bond. I can't remember if that's a brand name or just what it's generically called. If your corners are completely gone, you won't be able to get anything to join to existing concrete and hang in air. I know sakrete makes a top n bond type mix, but I can't remember the name.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If you're just doing the corners..there is a milky color cement bonding liquid that you brush on the surface to be repair and let it set for a few minutes. When this white liquid starts to get sticky you mix your motar mix (lots of lime here so it can stay up where you want it) and apply with a mason trowel.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Yes there are 2 part Epoxy concrete repair products,here is one brand but there are others, I have seen them used,mostly for overlaying old deteriorated surfaces & minor repairs, but I can't recomend any particular brand or type.

CONCRETE REPAIR EPOXY, EPO-TOXY Information, Lone Star Epoxies

Thanks everyone. This gives me enough info now to follow-up on some products.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

10.2 Oz. Polyurethane Premium Construction Adhesive

If you are going to "recement" the bricks back in, I would recommend the above Brand. I have used the general construction adhesive by this company and it makes liquid nails look like children's paste.

A friend told me about the stuff and the make a formula for masonry that apparently holds tight enough that you will detroy the brocks trying to break the bond.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If your corners are broken, and that is where the railings are going to be fastened, it's a difficult job to do, and make sure it lasts.
    I would recommend taking enough additional concrete from the corners to provide about 144 sq. inches,(or more , since it may be damaged also, it just hasn't broken off yet )) so that you are removing any weak old concrete. Next, I would drill into the sides of the old slab, in at least 4-locations, and insert 3/8' dowels, about 2"deep, I would also put a cross piece of re-bar, or all-thread from these dowels, so there will be like some reinforcement for the new concrete. keep the lengths of dowels /re-bar 2" from the finished edges. Before you place the new concrete, wash the old surface with vinegar, it will allow the new concrete to attach itself to the old stuff. Form for the corners, and support / brace to prevent sagging, leave the forms in place for at least two weeks.
    I like using (Home Depot) Quickcrete, or Sakrete Mortar mix ( this has more portland cement, than concrete mix, and is better adhesive qualities.) After this has cured for about 4-weeks, wash, and scrub with stiff brush, the entire area with vinegar, and rinse with clear water. Get "Top & Bond" and finish the entire area with a light 1/8 - 1/4" thick coating to make the job look like a new porch. Allow this to cure for about 1-week, then re-attach the rails, just don't get them too close to the edge.
    This is only a temporary fix ! If all four corners are broken, I would personally remove the entire old slab, and re-pour new concrete. Small carts of mixed concrete ( 1-cu. yd.) are available, usually at the tool rental locations....check yellow pages for your area. If you go this way, then do not attach rails for at least 1- month, so it has time to cure. Concrete cures to 95% of its strength in 30-days, keep it covered with plastic sheeting, and make sure the temperatures are not going to be freezing overnight, in the next 30-days.

Good Luck !

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements