14' canoe

Thread: 14' canoe

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 14' canoe

I am planning to build the canoe from the free downloaded plans @ bateau.com
    has anyone else built one of these? Curios as to wether it is as easy as they make it sound. This will be my first build. Would like to build their Pilot 19 someday as well. Let me know what you guys think of the plans from Bateau.

Thanks for any input!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Mark, make sure your up to the task. It may sound small but it is very time consuming and takes alot of tools and space. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea just letting you know the goods and bads of boat building.

However, no matter how hard or long a project takes you you have full justification in saying-Hell yeah I built it from the ground up!

Jim-- my starcraft is aluminum. the first thing I did when I got it was romove the old floor BY THE HANDFULL!! I started over with a bare aluminum shell. Here are some pics of the new floor and transom, and some damage from a large tree limb. I will post more pics of her completed later.

rrr-- I remodel and re-sell homes for a living, so carpentry and tools are not a problem, the only thing I have absolutely ZERO experience with is fiberglass and epoxy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1033.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	3140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starcraft 001.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	3141  

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Although I am not an expoxy user the method of expoxying(?) seems to differ the using polyester. Filling holes and gaps with putty or filler (same thing) seems the same. Maybe Im just a "I have about this much resin and I'll add about this much hardener" type of guy.

Great looking project-the best thing about doing it yourself is that you can build the boat around you.

here she is DONE! the pic of the side is where the damage from the tree limb was repaired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bim dwn.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	3142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bim up.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	3143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bow.JPG 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	3144  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear view.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	3145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damage fixed.JPG 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	3146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transom.JPG 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	3147  

The dash looks awesome!

Jim -- a lot of hammering and pop rivets, and a new (salvaged from a junked boat) rub rail

rrr -- dash board is one of them there fancy laminates (commonly known as 3/4" exterior plywood) with about 8 coats of uv protected marine varnish.

I have e-mailed / PM ed a bunch of guys, but seems they are occupied elsewhere, oh well all good things come to those who wait

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mark

Boat looks great, 'bout time I got to see the pics since I couldn't see it first hand either crabbing or floundering........................yet.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements