Tidal Fish Forum banner

Dog tracking collars

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  axelel 
#1 ·
I would like to get a radio tracking system to keep tabs on the g/f's dogs when I take them into the woods.

They all seem to run somewhere around 600-800 dollars, so I would really like to get it right the first time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I have been using the Innotek RD-4OO for five years.It works great.I compared it side by side with the more exspensive wildlife box and I could find the dog just as good.A friend just got one off ebay NEW for right at $400.I paid $475 5 years ago.It comes with two collars but I have 10 now and my brother has 12.Mine are on 216 and 217 and his are all on 217.The only thing with this unit is you can only track 14 specific numbers on 4 different freq.I cannot just track any number.
Now I don't see how I did without.
I also got this unit because I didn't want the ant. on the roof.I have velcro on it and stick it on my dash.

"Sea-Ya",Jeff

#4 ·
Box

Call Dog's Only in McKinney, Dinwiddie County. I have a Wildlife Box and really like it, I have both Johnson and Wildlife collars. Both work good the Johnsons are cheaper and go on sale $25 off first of September, the Wildlife collars are lighter and better for Beagles. Dog's Only also sells the Snoopy tracker that mounts on the roof of the truck, I would not have a tracking system without a roof antenna.

#6 ·
I agree with the gps systems. The collars are a little expensive but you know where your dogs are a all times. The driver in our club has one and he usually has his dogs back before the hunters get off the stands. It is also good because you can see what direction the dogs are running the deer and jump in front of them. Like choptank said, you can use it for a regular gps system also...

#8 ·
i use a magnum 8000 made by magnum telemetry out of N.C. I have had for about 12 years and i have nothing but praise for it. I have 4 other friends howthem and they love em to. this system allows you to track any collar made and you can store up to 1000 collars in the memory. Look on there web site MAGNUM TELEMETRY.COM and look at there specials on tracking systems. Also there is a co in Glouchester called MIDWAY TELEMETRY check them out. idon't recommded the magnum coolrs i prefer wildlife tracking collars. do so research on different boxes and diffent collars but remember u get what u pay for. buy a system so you help you buddies trck and recover their dogs to.

#9 ·
First of all you need to determine how many dogs you want to track. Also you need to determine what Frequencys you want to track. Next you need to determine how many others in your area have tracking systems. Its not fun to run around half a day tracking your dog and find out its not your dog. I have done that more times than I care to remember. One other thing. You need to decide if you want to be able to track other dogs in your hunt club etc. Most receivers only track one single Freq. EX. 217, or 218, or 219, and so on up to 226. I personally have a Wildlife receiver that willl track any dogs carring 217 or 220 freq. This box sells for $995.00. I also have a ICOM scanner that I can set up to receive any freq. I can track anything from 216 up to 226. Problem they don't make this unit anymore. Have seen some used on E-bay. Model Icom RC-10. I understand they now make a replacement unit but it cost a lot more. My collars are Johnson and Wildlife. Not much different between distance. Johnson does have a faster signal cherp than the Wildlife collars. One advantage of the Wildlife I can change to batteries myself. Johnson you need to send back to have battery replaced. This runs around $65.00 each. Have seen advertisement on E-bay to have it done for $35.00.
Hope this helps.
LBubba

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.