Anyone flounder gigged around here?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Dennis - Time to rig up some lights on the "BOO". I haven't gigged since I was a kid in Oyster... it'd be cool to do it again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Al,

I plan to give it a try this summer! I know a few holes over there I plan to try.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My favorite giggin rig has to be my canoe. Set up with outrigger stabilizers to prevent tipping over, I'll put two propane lanterns with reflectors up front to shine down into the shallow water while I stand up there. Then a buddy is in the back of the canoe with a spot light looking for fish I overlooked. We move along by poling along with the gig which has gigs at each end. I'll be up front for a few hours/limit out and we'll switch places, whichever comes first. We can cover sooo much more water than wading.
    I remember some incredible nights on the Bay side of Dauphin Island, AL. We'd limit out on flounder and then catch trout around rigs in Mobile Bay until our arms wore out or it got light. Then back to the house to clean fish and sleep away the daytime heat. Then back on the water at sunset. Fun times.
    I'd tell yall where I go in the Chesapeake but I'm pretty protective of those areas. They get hit hard enough by too many people as it is. I'm sure plenty here have ideas about where, so I'll be quiet about that..

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thumbs up Gigging Flounder

Bob & Dennis,

Let's make serious plans to do this on the Hampton Bar this spring when the fish move onto the bar. Mike Brown has a house where the Hampton River meets the bar and we can start there or use my boat. I'm going to invest in a snorkel & fins! Sounds like it will be a blast.

Tight Lines,
    Kevin
    Weekend Mistress

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Albiechaser View Post
    Why is there still confusion over gigging flounder in this thread? Lakebiker came on here and spelled it out. It IS legal and size/creel regs apply.

Night fishing for flounder?? Never heard of such a thing. They sleep at night....

Give me a slick calm night, a grass flat, and some Jimmy Buffet on the radio and I'll fill my limit with gigged flounder... and then go chase some specks with a jig.

Yep, it's a ball. I've been coming up to the bay for several years now but never even thought about gigging till this year although I've done it here in N.C. since the late 60's.
    The regs are confusing and that's why I wrote the letter to the fish cops, to get the straight answer which was clear, YES YOU CAN GIG as long as you have a license for yourself or your boat if you gig from a boat. I gotta dust off some old lights for my upcoming trip.
    Oh yeah, I think it's around $38 bucks for the out of state boat sticker, good for a year from the date of purchase and everyone on the boat is covered under the sticker. Usually get mine at Wally World on the way up.
    The 18 1/2 or 19" whichever one they come up with don't bother me near as much as leaving the damn commercial at 14". That SUCKS.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I am kicking around the idea of booking a charter down south, pulling the travel trailer, and staying for a few days. Hey,that sounds like fun. Guys night out.
    Available to HO-Have plenty of gear as I kept it all-757-418-1966 Bobby Allen P-Town Va.

Quote Originally Posted by hookinfinger View Post
    I found this site out of Florida a few years ago. This guy gets into it BIG TIME !
    http://www.floundergigging.com/
    Dennis
    Dennis,

Thanks for the post. For me, Flounder Gigging is how I earn a living here in NE Florida.

I call it the Adventure of a Night-time and even though it is a job I am always fascinated by the saltwater marshes and marine life each night I set out at sunset.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Red face Just my thoughts

If I was considering to Gig for flounder
    (which I wouldn't as I like the traditional way of catching them).

I would utilize a flat bottom boat and work the area beyond the CBB bridge over on US13 the right hand side. Shallow water over in that area where Flounder would lay.

Another thing I would try to hit their head area versus the body so not to bruise/puncher the good meat.

I noticed in the Pictures the barbs punchered the fatter and better piece of the meat.
    Regards

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Now thats a kick ars flounder giging MOSHEEN I want to go!!

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

gigging is 100% legal in va, but the two main issues have been stated already.. water clarity is poor in comparison to the places we gig down here in NC. Also we have a 14 inch limit here and tend to see tons of flounder too small or questionable that we dont stick... finding a 19 inch flounder in wrightsville beach... good luck on that... between the nets, the gigging, and the fishing, these lil southern flounder dont stand a chance down here. But i will admit, I have caught many 19 inch plus fish in water shallow enough to gig growing up in VB... So i would say its def a possibility

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast