Need Help.Networking Computers.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

hrmmmmm, if it is set up to obtain automatically then it should be the same for the DNS. Have you tried to manually log on to the router by opening internet explorer and going to http://192.168.0.1 ? This is the default address from the factory for them.user name should be admin and the password is normally password or admin. these should be listed in the manual or on the back of the router itself. I will take a look at one of the Vista computers while at work today to see if there is anything else in the network settings that could help.

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Pretty sure I did that,when I did it it came up as my Westell Modum.I'll try again tonite after work.I may not have done it exactly like that.Have to re-check the address I used also. Really appreciate the help![Mike]

If accessing 192.168.0.1 does not work you may need to verify that your local IP is being assigned by the router. First thing to do is to turn your computer off. Then make sure the network cable running from your computer is connected to one of the numbered ports on the back of the router. Then for now just disconnect your modem from the WAN port on the router. Turn your computer back on and once it is fully booted to windows, you will need to open a command prompt (dos wannabe terminal) I wish I could tell you how to on Vista but I have limited experience with it. If there is an accessories menu in the start menu it may be in there. If you have a "run" dialogue in your start menu you can go there and then type cmd and then enter, this will bring up your command prompt. Hopefully you can find a way to get to the command prompt, once you are there type ipconfig This will bring up the IP address of your computer, the subnet mask and the default gateway, only thing to worry about is the IP fr now. It should be 192.168.0.* any number will work where the * is. If it is then you should be able to log on to your router by going to http://192.168.0.1 if your IP is anything that starts with 192.168 then you can get to the router by going to 192.168.*.1 the * representing what ever value you see with ipconfig. Let me know what you come up with. If you need any help shoot me an email at [email protected], i can give you a number you can reach me at.

--John

Thanks John,Kinda got way-layed tonight,so I can't do it.Will try hopefully Wed. evening.Will keep you posted.[Mike]

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The default out of the box Linksys IP address is

http://192.168.1.1

older ones are

http://192.168.0.1

assuming all the connections are correct one of those 2 will get you access to the router.

Like John said, the command prompt can be accessed by clicking Start>Accessories.

You can also access it by clicking Start>Type cmd in the Start Search box>Press Enter

Akocan is also correct. The default IP Address of a Linksys router can be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

After issuing the command ipconfig in command prompt you should the IP Address of your computer. It should be under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection. If it is 192.168.0.x, you are having the same problem that I had. The actual problem was that my Linksys router and Westell modem were using the same Subnet with the IP Address 192.168.0.1. The default IP Address for a Westell Modem's internal network is also 192.168.0.1. When I tried to access my router using 192.168.0.1 it went to the Westell Modem, just like what you are experiencing. You have to change the IP Address of your Linksys router to a different subnet. You can change it to anything other than 192.168.0.1. An example would be 192.168.55.1. You can change the 3rd octet to any number from 1-254.

To fix the problem, you have to unplug your Westell modem from the Linksys router. You should now be able to access your Linksys router using 192.168.0.1. Login with username admin and password admin. Under the Setup tab, change the 3rd octet of the LAN IP Address. Remember to change it to any number from 1-254. Click Apply to save the settings.

After a few seconds the settings should take effect. You will now have to get a new ip address from the router. The easiest way to do this is by unplugging the router and plugging it back in. After a few seconds, your router should be back up and you will get a new IP Address in the subnet you just configured. You can use the ipconfig command to verify. You will now be able to access your router through 192.168.x.1 and the Westell modem using 192.168.0.1. I hope this helps. I will bmail you my number if you would like me to walk you through it.

Sent ya' a B-Mail......Will have to find out my Westell password and user name.I forgot it!!

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The cables are fine, but if you think you want to change them you may buy the new cable from Cable Wholesale https://www.cablewholesale.com/ and get coupons on it from https://www.dealmecoupon.com/cable-w...le-promo-codes

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12