Tidal Fish Forum banner

Anyone figured out how to catch flounder in Currituck Sound

25K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  skunker 
#1 ·
Without a net ??? Any info, advice, or telling me it is impossible is appreciated!

#4 ·
Ever have any luck drifting with bait and flounder rigs like they do in the bay ? Or do you think I'd have better luck with the gulps ? I've caught a few dinks on a stretch 10 while trolling for stripers near coinjock, but never any big ones. do you have any suggestions for areas to try other than the currituck bridge ? I live near Tull's bay, is that too far north ?

And thanks again for the advice...

#5 ·
Don't know about Tull's bay, I never fish up there. I agree with carey, the ones you catch in the Currituck sound do tend to be big. The ones I catch are on the Gulps because I am normaly fishing for trout or pups when I catch one. Try fishing around points on a marsh edge with a gulp shrimp, I like the 3" white one with a 1/8 oz grey lunker city jig head. They are feeding on shrimp along the marsh edges so this is my bait of choice. If you go around the point into the north river there are some reel nice holes on the east bank that tend to hold some nice flounder, trout, pups, and rock.
Good Luck,
Chris at Sharky's

#6 ·
i like the jerkshad more because flounder love big baits but the shrimp is a much heartier bait especially that far up in the sound where theres tons of little **** to pick your bait to death. Will get more trout on shrimp body also. I havent fished much further north that ctuck bridge either...as far as weight it depends on the current but really shouldnt need more than 1/4 oz head...also u must look at the salinity of the water and how much it has been raining....prolly have shots at small trout, puppy drum of various sizes, rat rocks. The flounder up there i think of as more quality then quantity...u get those really thick dark suckers that weigh twice as much as the same length flounder caught near the inlet....also will have shots of the must under rated black drummy....

if you want to fish bait...i'd still fish it on a white or white/chart jig....long strips tipped on the jig...my absolute favorite is fresh blue fish...but squid works...

chris
what/where is sharkys?

cheers
carey

#12 ·
Now that's what I'm talking about ! I hope I have that much luck when I go. I was looking for an alternative to going to the Chesapeake bay for flounder. I see the netters in the sound raking them in all the time, but was told nobody has alot of luck catching them with a rod. I'm going to try a few spots in the sound between Tull's bay and the bridge and hopefully I'll get a few too. That is if you left me any :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.