Bait pen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait pen

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Bait pen

Hello all, i've been trying to think of a way to build a durable dependable bait pen. My previous attempts never worked out to promising. Any ideas or methods to building a good bait pen would be greatly appreciated! (Mostly for croaks, spots, eels, mullet)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Check out the latest Salt Water Sportsman, they have a "how to" in there on what your looking for.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yeah, I saw that some thing about the inside of an old washing machine or something.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I bought a plastic barrel from gi joes surplus on rt 17 in york county....10bucks? drill a billion holes in it, tie some crabpot buoys around the side (3) and cut a hatch in the top. you have to haul it about every 2 weeks and wash off the growth. steve

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Here is some info.

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virg...bait-cage.html

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virg...c-barrels.html

Eels are another story. As I am sure you know they are slippery fellows. Here is some info.

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virg...els-alive.html

Dennis

Dennis

In the past I have made cages out of PVC and plastic mesh that worked good, but the critters could get into them and steal the bait. It looked good, worked good, but too easy to get in....the barrel works even better IMO and I really think the bait lasts longer in the barrel. So buy a barrel, drill some holes and tie it off.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

If you paint the barrel with antifoulant paint it won't need to be cleaned as often.

hey byrd, does the antifoul stay on the plastic barrel ok? i just assumed it wouldnt. not that at $100+/gal i have alot of antifoulant to throw around, but cleaning the barrel is a pain. steve (masons dad)

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

I buy mine at boater's world, I use the 40% to 45% I think. I like blue better, but cooper works as well. I get it by the quart and can do 2 - 30 gallon barrels with it. Have no problems with it staying on the barrel. I paint it once a year in the spring and pressure wash it in the fall when I take it out. I have one or two in the driveway, I can show if you like.

Instead of drilling holes take your skill saw and cut slits, its much faster, more water flow, and minnows/eels can't get out.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast