fish fry techniques
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default fish fry techniques

When I have done a fish fry in the past, it turns out delicious however I am looking to get a much thicker crust on the outside. What are some things you guys do? I am just looking for different ideas. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have never done it but I will soon..try potatoes chips. Beat up a small bag of your favorite and stick it to the egg mix.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Egg wash into your dry mix, back into the egg and back into the dry. Ever try Bass Pro's beer batter? It's fantastic- mix it thicker than it calls for and you can make the crust as thick/crunchy as you want. Trust me on this- try some of that beer batter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Egg gets you the most when it comes to a thick batter on fried fish. I do a couple different layers. I like to soak my filets cut to frying size in whole milk for a couple hrs. or more depending on how mild a fish i'm using. My first layer is for seasoning, i'll use a flour-based mix with some type of seasoning (one or maybe a combo of blacken, old Bay, cayenne, paprika or Italian herbs) - coat each piece one time. If they are soakin up the first coat and you start to see them looking wet - hit them again.

For the second layer I am using egg white now but you can use a whole egg and it makes it even richer. You can use a huge variety of crumbs for the outter layer. Some combinations of seasoning layer and fry layer can be great and some suck. I prefer Ritz (some bootleg Ritz crackers even have a more buttery taste) - There is a fish cake recipe on here that is a big hit and uses Ritz. Pancko bread crumbs are popular and i've been using them because they are lighter and a bit more crispy. Other options are Rice Crispys, Corn Flakes, all kinds of potato and corn chips and crackers. Dip the fish in the egg and then cover with the crumbs. Add another layer if you really want it thick but one is usually enough.

I turn on the fryer before I start to batter the fish and it's usually ready when i'm done. If you are using a turkey fryer - more time.

Fry the fish until it's light golden brown - I keep the chunks about 1" square - big fish finger size. They fry up quick.

I'll leave favorite dipping sauces up to everyone else.... Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snook-calcutta.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	9620  

i think beer batter will get u what u desire. i have used regular lays potato chips and they are great for the chip method.

Beer batter is the ticket. Available at any large grocery chain. A good brand is GoldenDipt by McCormick. Very simple, open package and mix with a beer or water.
    Always gets rave reviews when I use it.

Is beer batter something like the type of batter at Captain D's? I've tried a couple but not found one that is as good as theirs. I always end up using a cracker & egg breading to get it crispy. I've never been a tempura fan.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

1 cup yellow corn meal
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    pepper (as much as you like)
    garlic powder(as much as you like)
    cayenne pepper(if you want)
    1 bottle of beer(try a dark porter)

mix it all up, put fish in a dish and cover with beer batter,let marinate in batter for a hour and fry up. This is for 3 people serving roughly give or take. Just double the recipe for bigger batch. Enjoy

Try this just to sample on a few pieces of fish. You can change amounts proportionately to make a larger batch if you like it.

1/2 cup flour. 1/4 cup corn meal. 2 tblspoons corn starch. Teaspoon of salt. 2 teaspoons baking powder.
    mx dry ingredients. Add one egg and slowly add buttermilk (or reg. milk) as you stir until you have a batter similar to pancake batter. Let sit 5 minutes. Dredge fish coating both sides thoroughly. Put in hot oil, either in fry pan or deep oil in a pot. Cook approx. 2 minutes on each side being careful not to burn the batter.

This method seems to lock out the grease and actually cooks the fish by steam. You will likely have to experiment to get the thickness of the bater just right. also great for veggies.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captaingeorge View Post
    Beer batter is the ticket. Available at any large grocery chain. A good brand is GoldenDipt by McCormick. Very simple, open package and mix with a beer or water.
    Always gets rave reviews when I use it.
    This is the one I use also.Delicous for Walleyes too...(Beware)ya can't stop eatin em.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast