Question of Ethics
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Angry Question of Ethics

I am wondering if it is legal or a question of ethics. Having a legal limit of stripers in the cooler and then catching another striper that is bigger than the ones in the box. Throw a DEAD striper back and keep the bigger fish just caught.

How many practice this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Ethics, chances are no one else will ever know so it’s up to the individual.

Looking at the summer regulations for Buggs Island stripers of catching four any size then quit or fish for another species, do you think it matters if you‘re live baiting, trolling or jigging? Seems some think it depends on the type fishing you are doing if it applies or not. Sure it’s not a legal question but it does not exactly follow the true intent of the law or position taken by the BISC.

I didn't say anything about live bait, trolling or jigging so I can't follow your train of thought.Not a legal question, ?????

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for the confusion.

Answer to your question; Ethics, chances are no one else will ever know so it’s up to the individual.

My question to you was; Looking at the summer regulations for Buggs Island stripers of catching four any size then quit or fish for another species, do you think it matters if you‘re live baiting, trolling or jigging? Seems some think it depends on the type fishing you are doing if it applies or not. Sure it’s not a legal question but it does not exactly follow the true intent of the law or position taken by the BISC

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What part of catch and keep first four stripers then quit fishing for stripers do you sportsmen not understand???? The doctor

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If I undertsand the question old buddie it certainly is not ethical at all to do it. I would have a problem with seeing it done too, for sure. As far as legal you have peaked my interest. How is culling defined? Does the fish have to be alive according to the law in order to throw it back for a larger one? You know we keep so few of the fish when we fish, we are all about the catching so most of the time you and I won't have a limit in our boat. I say if their limit is in the cooler and they catch a new lake record they should be true sportsmen and release the record and keep fishing as long as their limit ain't 4, in that case they should have already quit and targeted another species.
    Maybe I'll see ya this weekend. If you want to wet a hook Saturday and I have my lowrance installed by then we will go look a fish. My b-day is Sunday. The big 46. I'll talk to you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod2 View Post
    I am wondering if it is legal or a question of ethics. Having a legal limit of stripers in the cooler and then catching another striper that is bigger than the ones in the box. Throw a DEAD striper back and keep the bigger fish just caught.

How many practice this?

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Never ........ it is unethical ........ the whole point of the law is to limit the killing of the fish stock therefore throwing back a dead one is just not right .......

I'll keep fish I want until I have reached 1 short of the limit then catch and release until I'm about ready to leave and then take the last one ...........

Some days ....... just catch and release ..........

Fishin ain't about keepin ......... if it was I'd save tons of money and go to the fish market

I would say both illegal (culling dead fish from the cooler) and unethical.

It gets tricky when you talk live fish from a release well, but in summer heat I would say it is technically legal, but not terribly ethical (especially since the release well is even more stressful than doing catch and release).

Lots of discussion on the catch and release issue on the Kerr board, but you asked about a very specific issue of culling dead fish to keep a bigger one.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Ethics question

Ditto what shemstreet said....and then some.

I think it woud be the equivalent of shooting a spike buck and while dragging him out of the woods seeing a ten pointer, shooting it and taking your tag off the spike and putting it on the bigger buck, leaving the smaller one to the buzzards. How is it any different?

I still think the best conservation method is to fish with me......worst year ever, anybody know a good witch doctor?

I would think that anyone with their limit in the box should immediately quit fishing so they wouldn't face this decision. Of course if the limit were 4 and you had your 4th and 5th fish on at the very same time, you'd better put one of them back and quit fishing.
    Marilynn

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements