Digital photography classes?

Default Digital photography classes?

Was wondering if anyone has taken any of those classes at community colleges for digital photography? I recently gave my wife a Nikon D40 and shes interested in becoming better at 1) understanding the camera and 2) understanding photography in general. She has always used a point-n-shoot and now she can't stop smiling with her D40.

I saw a course that is specifically designed for Digital SLR's - it meets for a month or so, 1 or 2 nights a week and cost $75 I believe. Is this worth looking into?

Thanks,
    Bryce

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Sanity's Avatar

Thumbs up

If she's smiling.......let her spend the money on print paper! Seriously, if you feel that you need brushing up on photography, these courses are good for novices. If you already feel comfortable, go on line and see what the best photographers are doing and then go take some pics. Canon has excellent on line courses that are transferable to any digital SLR. They are also FREE!

Also, experience is the best teacher. Tell her to hit all the buttons she can to see what the effects are. What the hell....it's not like she has to pay for processing like in the old days. Dump them all if they're crap. Hit more buttons if you like the effect. That's called "creativity".

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Sanity's Avatar
    Last edited by Sanity; 08-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One of the better websites for digital photography I have found is Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ If she is looking to take some classes, tell her to try The Nikon School. The school pretty much travels around the country. Nikon's website will list the dates and locations.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Adult education classes at a university is great in my opinion, you usually receive good information from qualified teachers or people in the field, another very important factor is to meet local people with the same interests, I only wish I had more time to take classes here in my town..I bet she wont regret it...

Jim
    I just completed an advanced DSLR course at Harford Community College that I found very informative. Granted most of the course was a brush up on stuff I already pretty much knew. Depends on the skill level and what/ how much you need/want to get out of it. Example: I wanted a better understanding of the high ISO speeds available today with relation to AV (aperture) and TV (shutter speed), which I feel the instructor did a pretty good job on. I would suggest your wife enroll it can’t hurt. Have her post some photos and ask for constructive criticism if necessary. As you can see by the photos there’s a lot of talent available just for the asking. Were all here to learn, enjoy, and hopefully make improvements.
    Good luck
    Wayne

Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber - My Business Supports TidalFish.com

Ruthless Fishing is going to hold a special class very soon for digital nature photography. I am still working on the details but have a relative who is interested in teaching the class. He teaches classes and is the go to photograper for many outdoor clothing companies. Ill keep you posted.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements