MSSA Tunament protest - any word? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Mr. Homewrecker
    I don’t understand your first paragraph; there is no complaint about it being his boat or a charter boat only that he did not charter it on Sunday. Maby you can explain
    Yes we did not find out about it until after the protest deadline (Rule #9) but we were ask to turn a protest letter in by the MSSA
    Rule #18 says that the Tournament Committee has the right to disqualify anyone at any time because of a rules violation
    It would have been hard to turn most protest buy the deadline seeing that the weight master in Wachapreague for the tournament could not give us the standings for any of the three fishing days and said that it would be Tuesday 6/30/09 before there would be any postings on the winning fish, When they were posted on June 30 I seen that they were some things wrong and contacted the MSSA and it was July 1 before i say the proper standings were posted, this was after the protest deadline

Mr. Homewrecker are you on the MSSA Executive/Tournament Committee (Sorry it didnt work out for you guys,there will be some changes coming !!)

Good Fishing Capt. Frank

Capt Frank,

Beleive this is about the MSSA covering their butts. They screwed the "pooch" in this case as beleive they did not perform due diligence to fully verify the winner before announcing the winners. If your post is corrent, it's almost like they have designed it such that it would be hard to protest a winner if the winners are not publicly announced until after the protest deadline.

Capt Keith Neal
    TEASER
    Wachapreague, VA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by teasersportfish View Post
    I disagree with the MSSA position in this case. It's not about pleasing all involved. It's about the spirit and intent of the MSSA tournament rules. Beleive the MSSA received a "F" in this case and now it's about how to put a political spin on it. As I've always done in cases where a "wrong" has been committed and I speak out about it I put my name on my post... How about you?

Capt Keith Neal
    TEASER
    Wachapreague, VA.
    As I stated earlier,SHOW ME THE RULE INFRACTION !! Post it up here.

So what you are saying is that the MSSA should CLEARLY break the rule that is WRITTEN that states that the deadline to file a protest is 6/30?

It has nothing to do with "a political spin",it has everything to do with following the rules,whether I am in agreement or not.

Well since you asked,here you go Big Guy,

Will Otto
    Kingsville Md.

Sorry I am not in your league with running a successful charter business and generally lacking in bluewater knowledge.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Were the official results not posted till July 1..? Just wandering

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Homewrecker,

Come on Will don't be so defensive. The MSSA Committee is complicite here in allowing, actually requesting a protest after the deadline in clear violation of the rules you ask about, your words "So what you are saying is that the MSSA should CLEARLY break the rule that is WRITTEN that states that the deadline to file a protest is 6/30? It has nothing to do with "a political spin",it has everything to do with following the rules,whether I am in agreement or not."

Ok...I'm gonna wade in here...first off this smells like the winning fish was left in MSSA's dock box and is now leaking out onto the dock for everyone to smell and enjoy, watch your step...be careful you don't slip on some of that slime...

If the OFFICIAL RESULTS WERE NOT POSTED UNTIL 1 JULY...How can the powers that be then enforce any rule regarding the tourney? If no one registered in the tourney was on board the boat when the fish was caught, that in my mind would or should disqualify the fish...so you are arguing the BOAT won, not any entry fee paying member of the tourney...Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the protest here that when the winning fish was actually caught...that there was NOT a single registered entry paying member on board, even more the tourney registered Captain was not even on board...and then the "Official" results of the tourney were not "made official" until 1 July, a full day AFTER the deadline to PROTEST expired...isn't that kinda like saying I picked the right lotto numbers to last nights winning jackpot this morning when i woke up...never mind I didn't buy a ticket with those numbers on it...NOW GIVE ME MY MONEY LOTTO COMMISSION

Your words here...Rule #18 says that the Tournament Committee has the right to disqualify anyone at any time because of a rules violation does this not mean that the committee then has the right to strike down the official results ANYTIME? ANYTIME means ANYTIME RIGHT...like anytime after the deadline, or anytime in the future, or a month or a year from now...or when ever fact supports that a contests integrity and its results have been compromised

While you state "show me the rule violation" you and your committee surely violated the integrity of the tourney by allowing the official results to be delayed past the deadline for protest and then not extending the protest deadline accordingly. Is or was there some underlying reason for this or just an honest mistake or delay? What did happen to delay these results? Specifically? If it was just an honest mistake then surely the deadline for protest could/should have been extended several days to prevent problems like this. So if the tourney rules had built in 2-3 days of protest time, why didn't you extend your protest time when the contest results were delayed? Your actions or inaction's effectively removed the ability for participants to have rightfully protested any real or perceived infraction/violation, follow me? If the protest was received during this time perhaps you would have ruled in the same way or found fault with the results and ruled accordingly.

Using your Rule #18, you do in fact have the right to disqualify the winning fish or crew at anytime, if this is true then your deadline for protest is null and void. If rule #18 is valid then "who" might raise protest at anytime barring the MSSA Committee finding any malfeasance on its own? You might need to consider a rule #18 change in that "anytime" be stricken in favor of "once the official results have been levied and once the deadline for protest has been expired the ALL RESULTS ARE FINAL. You and your committee have in fact said that by your ruling. You might also consider changing whatever rules apply in that upon a delay of contest winner verification/notification the entry members will have 3/5/7/14 or whatever days (you decide is fair) to protest. Setting an arbitrary date for protest expiration and then not certifying the results until AFTER that date has passed smacks of unfairness, subterfuge and collusion in my opinion and is probably shared by many involved.

In an effort in openness and fairness you might consider posting a document that shows both Captains signatures on the form as you iterated, that might clear up some confusion as someone stated that in years past there was only one place/line for a Captain to sign. All in all you don't want this to end up in court and that is where it might be heading if the prize is great enough...

Capt Travis Beach
    A-SALT-WEAPON
    Va. Beach Va.
    Last edited by CaptBeach; 09-17-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Not trying to stir a turd here but...I got a couple more questions. Maybe someone can answer them.

Whatever happened to POLYGRAPHING the winning Capt/Mate/Crew when a question arises? Even after the fact...

When did the second capt sign the entry form as the "Second Capt"? And in front of what witnesses?

If there was not a single paying tourney member on board the boat when the winning fish was caught...who was the check written out to? Does this rise to the level of fraud? (sometimes I can ask and answer my own questions) http://www.mssa.net/tournfiles/tuna09resultsrev1.pdf
    Does this have as much to do with having had the check cashed and already spent vs. the futile efforts to recover the winning pot and awarding the legitimate(?) winner??
    Last edited by CaptBeach; 09-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Good question, who got the check? Thats why I dont deal with any MSSA tourneys, for some reason Ive always had a gut feeling. I must also add in defense I have never been treated unfairly or bad. Good luck guys

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Beachfordman,Teasersportfish,I give you guys win !! I should have known better than post MY interpretation of the rules.

Again SORRY that I couldnt side with you guys.

I guess that the MSSA may be onto something by just wanting to do away with this tourny.I am trying to breathe some life back into it,guess it just isnt worth the uphill battle.

Maybe since the money was awarded,these protesters can file a law suit against the parties that received the awards

Carry on.

Capt Donaldson got the check...$9309.60 winning fish allowed him to "cash in" in several different categories...

This is not against Capt Donaldson or Capt Battista or their crews but something just don't smell right... Did Capt Donaldson pay an entry fee or did his 26-27th of June charter pay those fees? Does his 26-27 June charter know he won with the winning fish caught on the 28th with the $$$ their entry fee's may have paid for? How does the 28th paying charter feel about this? Did the angler get a cut? We already know(?) he wasn't a paying tourney entrant.

In all honesty I've only fished two tourneys in my life and I am no expert but this doesn't pass the smell test to me...

Quote Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
    Beachfordman,Teasersportfish,I give you guys win !! I should have known better than post MY interpretation of the rules.

Again SORRY that I couldnt side with you guys.

I guess that the MSSA may be onto something by just wanting to do away with this tourny.I am trying to breathe some life back into it,guess it just isnt worth the uphill battle.

Maybe since the money was awarded,these protesters can file a law suit against the parties that received the awards

Carry on.
    Easy way out and liberal tactic, deflect, ignore and attack, right out of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals ...how about answering some of the questions posted above or...If your serious about "fighting for the tourney" then fight...acknowledge that somethings went on that shouldn't have, that there are still questions about WHO the legitimate winner is. Open an investigation on your own or better yet ask a third party arbitrator/investigator to come in and settle the dispute before it ends up in court or further taints the MSSA further than it has already and get on with life...vs attacking the people who say the king is naked while all the while insisting that not only does the King have on clothes, but he is wondrously attired and then attacking the people so very interested in the truth coming out...granted I have no dog in this fight other than wanting the truth to see the light of day...I cannot stand to see unfairness in anything...

Here's one for ya...JUST ANSWER THIS QUESTION...

Did Capt Donaldson pay an entry fee or did his 26-27th of June charter pay those fees? Does his 26-27 June charter know he won with the winning fish caught on the 28th with the $$$ their entry fee's may have paid for? How does the 28th paying charter feel about this? Did the angler get a cut? We already know(?) he wasn't a paying tourney entrant.

OK 4 questions...

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mr. Otto
    Before this goes any farther let me say this is not about winning any more money on my part it is about righting a wrong, Have Captain Donaldson donate any difference in money that would come to me if the standings were right to( Take a kid fishing or Make a Wish Foundation) and apologize and you won’t hear another word from me.

I am not in the League of the Lawyers or manipulators like you have running the MSSA I am just a Charter Boat Captain but I can figure things out after I clear the fog from my eyes.
    I am glad that you think it was wrong, every single person that has heard what happen thinks it is wrong.
    I also understand why MSSA would not tell anyone at the weigh station on Sunday or any time during the tournament who was winning or what had been caught and told us we would have to wait until Tuesday June 30 to find out.
    If I had not been able to get to a computer that day and seen that some of the standing were wrong that I knew was wrong it would have been as you say (but hey it was one that slid by without being brought to light until after the protest deadline.) As you put it in the MSSA eyes is "he is one of the guys" nope is from Bedford VA
    Then when the standing were changed and reposted on July 1st if i seen they were wrong again then I suppose it would have been, well its past the deadline we can’t change it now

As far as your post
    (I guess that in years past it has been OK for one of the complainents to be registered as the "Captain" and had actually been on a "Charter" boat check his fish in? I have never heard any complaints about this one,oh thats right "he is one of the guys",no need to file a protest)
    If you are talking about the Registered Captain for the tournament not being the Captain or owner of the boat, I believe your tournaments encourage this with the (Captain of the year competition) And I believe this tournament allowed Charter boats and Charter boat Captains to fish as seen in the Rules
    But I cannot find on any application for any tournament that the MSSA has held for several years where more then one Captain can register or a boat itself is named in the application but yet the MSSA keeps telling us that the boat Clear Shot was registered had two captains registered
    SHOW ME THAT IN YOUR RULE BOOK

Good Fishing Capt. Frank Large
    Nita Dream Sport Fishing Charters

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast