Tidal Fish Forum banner

Trailer breaks.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Spearo 
#1 ·
Trailer breaks.

Hi,
I own a 6,000lb. GVW Fast Load Alum. trailer (bought it new back in 98') with tandem axle but only one set of front sisc brakes. I have had heating problems from day one and was woundering if anyone has has problems like mine having only one set of breaks?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Trailer breaks.

What do you mean heating problems? If you are comparing the amount of heat your brakes put off compared to drum brakes, there is no comparison.

You can go 100 miles with drum brakes and probably put your hand on the hub and hold it there. You probably won't be able to do that with disc brakes after 10 miles.

I was also concerned when I converted my trailer from drum to disc brakes and I called the manufacturer. They told me I would not be able to hold my hand on the hub as discs runa lot hotter than the drum brakes.

THinking about this I got a themometer and drove the trailer for about ten miles. Sure enough after placing the probe on the hub the thermomet read about 160 degrees.

Just make sure you use a high temperature grease like the Lubramatic wheel bearing grease. It has a drop (melting point) temperature of 550 degrees.

#6 ·
Trailer breaks.

[Q]WildeOne originally wrote:
The only thing that would make discs run hotter is if the pads drag. The bearings are essentially the same. Shouldn't be any difference.
[/Q]

There is a good bit of difference in the heat.

I found my Kodiak trailer disc brake installation/operating info booklet, with NOTES:

Page -13-, item 5. "Periodically, during each trip, check hub and assemblies to make sure that they are within normal operating ranges (130 - 175 F). Do not touch brake components as they be much hotter than the hub or wheel, especially after recent braking."

Drum brake hubs can be touched with your hand after running for many miles with frequent braking. You cannot touch hub assemblies that are running in the range of 130 degrees to 175 degrees as Kodiak states is 'normal' operating range.

EDIT: I do not run brakes on my rear axle of my tandem axle trailer.

#7 ·
Trailer breaks.

It could be you need to bleed your brakes again. I was running a little hotter that I liked for a while (still within operting range) so I went all out on a brake bleed and got a bubble here and there and they've run much cooler ever since.

Brakes of front axle only. No problems

#9 ·
Trailer breaks.

Spearo - We have one set of disc brakes on our tandem axle boat trailer, and yes, like others have said, they run too hot to touch. That's normal, whether running brakes on both axles or not.

Hafta ask though, what maintenance has been done on your brakes since '98? I know you said they've run hot since day one, but if your grease is boiling over these days, it's past time for a brake job, only part of which should include making sure the calipers are riding free on their bushings, and that the caliper piston is not stuck.

#10 ·
Trailer breaks.

Guys, I changed the actuator on the trailer for the new model 66-6600lbs capacity and left out the electric backup thing (can't think of the name now) and went for a ride, the system works much better now than it did when new.

Thanks for all the help.

#11 ·
Trailer breaks.

I had a simular problem,But only one wheel was running hot.I tore the brake axle down and found that both calipers were sticking..I ordered a set a SS brakes from Kodiak and replaced the bearing and races.You have to be careful when bleeding ,to get all the air out of the system,infact it wouldn`t be a bad idea to take the trailer somewhere and have it power bleed.Also keep an eye on your brake fluid level,it has a way of evaporating.I feel so lucky now,both wheels get hot!![grin]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.