Tidal Fish Forum banner

Kiptopeke arrival change in itinerary . .

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  lannyp 
#1 ·
Hi BISC Pards,

While my plan was to be at the Shore Stay Suite on Nov 26 to begin a month long COW fishing adventure at Kiptopeke, there was a slip on Sat. 21 at the Rudd ramp. Got help pulling both my truck and boat up the ramp and eventually to my residence, thanks to Steve Smith's towing. The catastrophic failure of the electronics in my truck is at $1500 to date and the full extent of the damage won't be known until later today when the shop may be able to get the electronic tests done. Of course, there's always a delay for parts delivery. Possible that the truck won't be finished until after Thanksgiving as the shop personnel want a happy Thanksgiving too.

So, I changed my arrival date at the Shore Stay Suites from Nov. 26 to Dec. 1. Is there a list of BISC members that will stay the month?

Haven't had any success in learning what contests are scheduled for the period of my adventure. I am optomistic! Well, it would be nice to know what contests are going on.

With regard to attaching the PVC eel tubes to the boat rails, I found that Lowe's has stainless steel cable ties that I presume can't break! :)

Still trying to figure out how to handle eels overnight, etc. I have a bait spa that fits in a 5 gallon bucket that could aerate the eels. Don't know how many could be kept in alive in the bucket. At $25 a dozen, likely not more than 2 dozen. Maybe I'm being too optomisitc about COW cooperation. I understand that the critters can be moved to a plastic tub with shallow water and placed in a cooler over ice to make them docile. However, I'm open to any and all suggestions that may keep me from reinventing eel handling.

I also need to purchase charts for the lower bay that will be usefull for Kiptopeke fishing. I'd appreciate specific chart sources. I tried MapTech and ADC Map too late to try to order for delivery before my departure for Kiptopeke. Well, that was before the unplanned change in departure.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions anyone cares to provide.

Regards, Joy T Brew

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as a map, nothing but ADC will do. You want the Chart Book for the entire bay. It is about $60. You may find a better deal on Ebay or Half.com. Have it delivered to your room at Short Stay Suites. BISC members there for the month of December are yours truely, Yogi, Termite, Tumbleweed and Ramrod that I know for sure. If you are only keeping 2 dozen eels the 3 bucket system works fine. Good luck!
Lanny:cool2:

#3 ·
Hi Lanny,

Sure a difficult task to buy something without seeing it and none offer ADC on Half.com or Amazon or E-bay that I can know what I'm getting.

During the interim, I mounted 5 rod holders on each rail along with the eel tubes. I presume that for the most part, I'll be drifting with the beam to the wind/tide. In cases where there's no wind/tide, I'll use the TM and do the usual spread off the stern from both sides.

Yet, it seems that I'll have one down line, two on planers, and two on floats. For the most, the eels will be on the bottom where possible. I'll use a egg sinker with the down line, but what about the floats and planers? A small in-line or egg to help the eel stay on the bottom. My reading says that COWs aren't appreciative of eels NOT on the bottom. Is this your experience? It's obvious that I could not handle more than 5 lines solo. Even with my brother fishing with me it might be a chore. I read where the reels must be in free spool with the clicker on. Allow 3 bumps and not more than 5 before setting the hook. Otherwise, a gut hook.

Because I intend to hook only COWs, I'm using 30# main line. I'm thinking to use 20 or 25#leader so the terminal gear will part with a hang. My reading says if the eel is on the bottom where it will be effective, when ya play the game, ya pay the price with hangs. Don't think this is what I saw with Mike or with you last year?

Any idea where the COWs are now? I had one report that they are only as far South as Deleware Bay in large numbers. Just a few lice COWs are at the cement ships.

Wish I could get on Kerr for a few days, but my truck won't be ready until next week. Something about wrong parts shipped and, and . . . hope I have enough gold for Kiptopeke and the truck repair.

As always, anyone is welcomed to straighten my stragety and or approach to COWs at Kiptopeke.

More later,

Regards, Joy

#4 ·
Hi Pards,

Maybe showing how I mounted the 5 rod holders and eel tubes on both port and starboard rails will invite comment.

This shows the rod and hook in the eel holder.

Maybe a close-up or the hook in the eel tube.

This one shows the large holes that the stainless steel cable tie passes through to secure the eel tube to the rail. IMHO, the large holes will keep the water from puddling and drowning the eel.

Is it true that pictures are worth a zillion words?

Wish my truck were repaired and I could be on my way to Kiptopeke, but . . .

Tight lines guys as the Kerr stripers are on the bite, that's for sure.

Regards, JTB

#6 ·
Hi Lanny,

I got all my reel spooled with 30# for now. I'm thinking, maybe bass ackward that the leader should be light fluro to allow the bait to do it's thing and also account for the striper excellent vision. I'll set the drag to half the leader with 20 pound strength. I'm wondering if lifting a weight would accomplish the same as a scale? I realize that 10 pounds on a 7 foot rod is a hell of a lot of weight for this weakling to lift. Meaning that there's no way I can come close to the breaking point of the line.

Of course, I'm making a huge assumption. First, fishing eels is not trolling or live baiting as on Kerr. The drift means that the boat is moving due to wind and tide, so baits may be moving at the same speed as the tide? If this is not true, the lighter line would be necessary to keep the eels on the bottom or as deep as possible. Well, it's a simple matter to change lines and I can do what's necessary as conditions warrant. Yet, there's always something to taking proven advice! :)

This said, is the drag to be set with the spool slipping or stopped? The reel pictured is different than the star drag as it's like having instant variable drag at yer fingertips. Yet, it can be instant to full drag to zero drag. I really like the reels, but don't have real experience with COWs.

BTW, I know you use the tubes/crimp for your hook leader, yet recommend the Palomar knot. I this the only knot you use for attaching line to leader and hooks? Or, do you have other favorites?

The Ford garage screwed up and didn't get the wiring harness delivered this past week. Won't be at the shop until sometime Monday. Then, the injector module can be tested. If there's a problem, it will be a few more days. I'm not optomistic at this point about anything happening in a timely manner. I will be at Kiptopeke before this coming Friday, but worry about my lodging. I'll call them again and let them know the situation.

Got to pick my brother up at the Norfolk airport on Friday, and must be there for his arrival.

Still excited about the prospect of fishing for COWs, but at the same time very disappointed in my truck breakdown and the missed fishing opportunities.

More later,

JTB

#7 ·
Hey those eel holder tubes are pretty cool looking. Do they work good? That is, do the eels stay in there without wriggling free? Where'd you get the idea? As for keeping eels overnight, well, even though they are hearty, they often don't all make it through the night in my experience, especially if its too cold out. PS - Sorry about your truck.

#8 ·
I set my drags by pulling line out by hand. I have a guy last year that went out with me and checked my drag and said "I think this one is too tight". I reached over and gave it a good pull and thought it was tight to me; I ain't a 25lb+ striper pulling at 10mph. I told him not to monkey with my drag setting on any of the reels. 15 minutes later he had a fish on and the drag was screamin. After the fish took about 30 yards of line I asked Mark if he still thought the drags was too tight. These fish hit sometimes while moving and they never check up. Hope this helps.
Lanny

#13 ·
Delay, delay, truck still in the shop . . .

Hi Lanny,

The truck is still in the South Boston Crowel Ford dealership garage. Same ole excuses, the part didn't arrive. Eight business days and part is still on order?

I started my reservation at the Shore Stay Suites on Dec 1 and hopefully will arrive this week. Regardless, I have to pick my brother up at the Norfolk airport on Friday. May not have a truck or boat with me and may need to charter with others during the week.

Are any HO options available?

Gotta go,

More later,

JTB

#14 ·
Hi Lanny,

The truck is still in the South Boston Crowel Ford dealership garage. Same ole excuses, the part didn't arrive. Eight business days and part is still on order?

I started my reservation at the Shore Stay Suites on Dec 1 and hopefully will arrive this week. Regardless, I have to pick my brother up at the Norfolk airport on Friday. May not have a truck or boat with me and may need to charter with others during the week.

Are any HO options available?

Gotta go,

More later,

JTB
I'll help you out JTB if you make it up here. Good luck and call if you need me.
Lanny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.