Good Information Starting Jan.1 ,2010 Maryland Anglers will need to Register with NOAA Before Fishing - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

All,
    I believe that MD will work out a registration service with NOAA because several Atlantic and other Coastal states already have this registration included in their state licenses. Noaa states that:

Alabama, Alaska, California, Connecticut, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Washington

"This state or territory has an agreement in place with NOAA whereby anglers who possess a CURRENT AND VALID LICENSE from that state or territory do not need to register. So keep in mind that if you purchase a short-term temporary license from that state or territory, your registration in the Angler Registry will expire when the license does. If you buy an annual license from that state or territory, your registration will expire if you choose not to renew the license next year"

I don't think it will be an extra fee, I think it is the fed being faster than MD in wanting to incorporate new data into their surveys. You knew this was coming due to the Environmental Protection Agency's new effort to help protect and restore the Chesapeake Bay. Everyone in the fishing community knows that DNR has a bad rep for fisheries management and this is how the fed will bring us into the fold. You want federal money for fisheries cleanup, this seems to be the beginning of the program.

-1full

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

one more thing to remember to do.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

For those of us who buy a boat license so friends and such don't have to buy individual fishing licenses, what is the registration requirement (if any) for them? Seems like no action should be required just like no registration is required for those fishing on charter boats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Ranger,

They will have to do the call in bit this year. . .

The boat licenses in MD and VA are one of the major reason's that their license programs do not comply with the federal reg.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I registered today, it took less then 5 minutes and there was no fee. They just want basic information. It is on the web site with a link to the registration form.

$40 bucks for a boat license that covers ever body on board...next year those same people will fork up to $25 each??? IT'S A TAX on fishing nothing more...OB and the DEMS at there best !!!Get rid of them bastages

Bruce

Blog Entries

While I am not happy with the possibility of a new fee for fishing I do see a need for some kind of federal regulation of migratory species of fish. I am not just thinking of Stripers but Trout, Menhaden and more. I have followed several threads railing against the methods presently used to estimate catch. Maybe this will be a start in the right direction if it hey can get it right ( with the federal government this could be a problem), but for sure some of the states are doing a terrible job Example: VA. and NC. with menhaden. At any rate an additional fee will not keep me from fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by cisco651 View Post
    $40 bucks for a boat license that covers ever body on board...next year those same people will fork up to $25 each??? IT'S A TAX on fishing nothing more...OB and the DEMS at there best !!!Get rid of them bastages

Bruce
    Unless you have studied at the Glen Beck school of marksmanship, you might want to aim before you load and fire. The underlying legislation was passed during the previous administration in a bi-partisan effort, and signed into law by President Bush.

As has been pointed out previously, the fee is the "stick" to encourage Maryland to come up with a licensing system that is in conformance with these regulations. If the state conforms with the Federal regulations, then I would anticipate no additional fee. However, I do agree that this will probably make the boat license a thing of the past unless DNR manages to come up with a creative way to restructure the license to collect the necessary data.

Although the boat license was a handy convenience for guests, when you get right down to it, it was blatant discrimination against bank fisherman. There was no similar provision for a Maryland resident to get a blanket license for bank fishing that would allow guests to fish for free. After all, they might only be fishing with that license holder a couple of days per year.
    Last edited by BILL H; 01-04-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: minor typo

I agree with Bill H that is was George Bush admin that signed this into legislation, but it will be Barack Obama's admin that will determine how much we pay in the future( I would be willing to bet it will be the maximum allowed). Right now registration is free.

To your point about discimination against bank fisherman. I believe to get a boat license we do pay slightly more than to get a standard license. So I would not say the discrimination is so "blatant."

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BILL H View Post
    Although the boat license was a handy convenience for guests, when you get right down to it, it was blatant discrimination against bank fisherman. There was no similar provision for a Maryland resident to get a blanket license for bank fishing that would allow guests to fish for free. After all, they might only be fishing with that license holder a couple of days per year.
    How so? To me it depends on how often you fish and how many non licensed guests you have. A bank fisherman is only charged $15 for his yearly license or $6 for a 5 day license. A boat license is $50. So on my boat, I have purchased my $15 license and nearly six 5 day licenses. I know from my experience that most guys who fish with me have their own boats with a license and my kids are younger than 16 so the state double dips on most occassions

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast