Tidal Fish Forum banner

Saltwater registry?

23K views 99 replies 46 participants last post by  Tom Powers 
#1 ·
This was in the latest Rappahannock Record. - Mike G

Saltwater recreational
anglers are required
to join national registry

Most saltwater recreational fishermen will be required to register with The National Saltwater Angler Registry before casting a line in 2010.

The registry launched January 1 will provide a comprehensive list of the nation’s saltwater anglers that will be used to improve surveys of fishermen. These surveys will be used by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists to assess the health of fish stocks and to estimate the economic contributions of anglers.

“By registering, recreational anglers will make their catch count,” said Jim Balsiger, acting NOAA assistant administrator for NOAA’s Fisheries Service. “The National Saltwater Angler Registry is an important tool that will enable us to better estimate the health of marine fisheries so that we’re able to preserve the pastime of recreational saltwater fishing for generations to come.”

Recreational saltwater fishermen will need to register if they:

• Hold a license from one of 10 coastal states or territories which do not currently have comprehensive saltwater angler license or registration requirements—Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virginia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• Fish for or are likely to catch anadromous species in tidal and salt waters; these are fish like river herring, shad, smelt and striped bass that live in the oceans but spawn in fresh water.

• Fish in the federal waters more than three miles from the ocean shore or from the mouths of rivers or bays

Anglers don’t have to register if they:

• Hold a license from one of 15 coastal states with comprehensive licensing or registration—Alabama, Alaska, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas and Washington.

• Are not required under state law in one of these 15 states to hold a fishing license as is sometimes the case with seniors or active-duty military.

• Are under age 16.

• Pay to fish on licensed charter, party or guide boats.

• Hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit or subsistence fishing permit.

• Fish commercially under a valid license.

National Saltwater Angler registration is free in 2010. To register, visit countmyfish.noaa.gov and click on the Angler Registry link, or call 1-888-674-7411 from 4 a.m. to 12 midnight daily.

Anglers will need to provide their name, date of birth, address and telephone number, and will receive a registration number to allow them to begin fishing immediately. They will receive a registration card in the mail in about 30 days.

The registry will be used as the basis for conducting surveys of saltwater recreational fishermen to find out how often they fish, according to Balsiger. It will eventually replace the use of random-digit dialing to coastal households, a system NOAA has had in place since the 1970s.

The goal is to improve survey efficiency and reduce bias by making calls only to homes where people fish, and reaching saltwater anglers who live outside coastal counties, he said.

See less See more
#6 ·
So maybe I'm thick. No, definitely I'm thick, but how would this be enforced? The DNR guys would check your registration during a stop (along with PFD, boat registration, throw device, etc.) and ticket you if you don't have one? I can see that this is an attempt to get a better grip on rec. fishing impact, since the commercial guys say they are the only ones monitored, but how would it work? You send in the results of your latest trip to the fishing hole? "Today I caught six croaker and a spot." Wacky but doable on-line if you were of a mind. Can't see many guys doing it by hand.

#9 ·
Registration is fairly easy. What I got out of it was they want to be able to call you on your telephone and get fishing results. This could be a pain depending on how often they call. They won't let you put an Email address on here, but I think you could Google - National Saltwater Angler Registry and get the address.

#16 ·
I have the same question so i'm bumping this post if anybody knows? that is the beauty of the "boat license" which appears to still be available. i'm guessing captain of the boat is responsible for all on board if they are not registered, just like fish regs/limits....................

#13 ·
As far as I can see there is no 'Recreational Boat' registration. Fishing from a charter boat is excluded. Commercial fishers are exempt as long as they are fishing for business, but it they go out for recreation, I believe they have to register too. Each person has to register except those anglers from the list of states that already have a program in place. Beyond that I don't know what kind of exemptions there might be for 'occasional' anglers.

#14 ·
I don't know if this is related but I got a telephone call from a young lady saying she was from the Commerce Dept. with a long questionaire about my fishing activities. This was before I registered. I was willing and enthusiastic about helping but the questioning went on for a long time and, in my opinion, was conducted by someone who must have ridden the short bus. I finally hung up in frustration. I quit waterfowl hunting years ago because the laws got so complex that, coupled with overzealous enforcement, I was not comfortable. I sure hope fishing doesn't get this difficult.

#15 ·
So, since I purchase a yearly license from North Carolina I do not have to participate? Or only half participate since I also purchase one from Va every year. I do not see how they will be able to enforce this, how many local marine police and game wardens even know what the HMS permit for tuna is, or even to ask to see one if you don't have the federal registration.

#20 ·
Actually I don't think this was an Old Dominion screw up. This came down from the federal goonvernment as far as I can see. I just don't see how anyone could expect the occasional recreational anglers to even know this regulation exists let alone do the registration. You go to the beach once a year and want to surf fish or go on a pier and fish and you have to register with the federal goonvernment to do it or get fined or whatever. Although I have already registered, I think this thing, even though its supposed to improve information, is a real bummer.

#22 ·
Ok I have a few comments to add to the confusion.. The way I read this is that 2010 is free but starting in 2011 it will cost you another $25 to register. This $25 has nothing to do with the State license that I'm already required to buy, this is the Federal Goverment saying I want my share too!!!! Does every person I take fishing have to pay this $25 registration fee to include my kids?? I understand that they want our help getting somewhat accurate catch information and for many other reasons but why charge us for it. "Hey we need your help doing our job and for that you can also pay us $25 too"

#23 ·
here is the deal. The feds want to know who is fishing so they can get better catch data. The actual numbers of fishermen are provided to the fed from each state. this is the actual number of licenses sold. Va has a boat license. This license does not reflect the true number of fishermen since one boat could take numerous people fishing over the course of a year. If Va is not able to provide the feds with an accurate number of fishermen, the feds will institute the registration program which has been discussed hear. It is free for 2010 however a fee of $25 may be charged in 2011 and beyond. To keep this fee from happening, the VMRC is proposing that each person who fishes be required to purchase a salt water license. They can then send this number to the feds. No more boat licenses, no more exemptions such as fishing from your dock for free. This is the simplest and easiest way to comply with fed requirements.

#27 ·
So okay, it's no big deal to sign up, and it's free this year, and they might even get some good catch data from this, but what gets my shorts in a bunch is that some assistant NOAA administrator can reinterpret the law and get everyone to sign up when that isn't what the law says. And yes, I'm just anal enough to have read the Magnusen-Stevens Act. The NOAA guy says one of the things that requires us to sign up is if you, " Fish for or are likely to catch anadromous species in tidal and salt waters; these are fish like river herring, shad, smelt and striped bass that live in the oceans but spawn in fresh water."

But the law doesn't say that. The law says (among othe things) you need to sign up if you, "fish for anadromous species". To me, "fish for" means to target that species. If I catch one incidental to fishing for something else, I'll just throw it back. And yes, if I'm towing a stretch 25 or an umbrella rig, or fishing with eels, I'm fishing for stripers. I'm not advocating BSing anyone. But this kind of "lawmaking" is just typical bureaucratic BS. I'll sign up if and when I decide to target stripers or shad. And don't worry too much about having to pay for this registration. If the VMRC doesn't put our licensing system in compliance within a year or two, they will get so much "feedback" from you and me that they will make it happen. My 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.