West Marine.......A Poor Substitute for Boaters World

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool

Default West Marine.......A Poor Substitute for Boaters World

Eminent Brothers,
    I always liked Boaters World more the West Marine. But now that BW is gone, shopping at WM seems to be worse then ever. I needed something simple....the Yamaha adapter for my oil pump so I could change the lower unit gear oil. No problem the WM catalog has them for $5.99. So I went to 3 different WM stores and they were all sold out. Their excuse was plausible,,,,,the recent nice weather caused a run on maintenance stuff and they got wiped out. But not to worry because a shipment is due on Monday and it has 14 Yamaha adapters that will be on the shelves by noon on Monday. Yea right.......Monday afternoon no adapters, the excuse this time was they didn't unpack all the delivery pallets yet. OK, that can happen. Wendesday no adapters. Didn't wait for an excuse this time. Saturday morning....still no adapters and they actually took the sign off the rack where the Yamaha adapters used to be. Now I can understand having to keep low invertories in these economic times and I certainly understand being sold out of something. But I can't abide by being BS'ed by seemingly helpfull sales staff. I ended up getting a new Yamaha pump with all the adapters for $10 at Fairwinds marina right here in lovely Cape St Claire. I hope between Fairwinds and AllTackle's new boat maintenance section I NEVER have to go to WM again

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You should have just posted a plea for help on Tidal Fish.
    I'd be willing to bet someone would loan your their lower unit pump close to you.

I miss Boater's World at least 10 times this year. Little stuff but important.

I think All Tackle will be carrying more boating items - which is good.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

GB sorry about your Luck I walked into West Marine today and paid 10.99 for the pump and 5.99 for the adapter you would have been more then welcome to use it. I posted a thread on Friday asking for info on how to change it and the response was great. I did it my self. New West Marine 8640 Pulaski Hwy Goden Ring Mall

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber tolmaz's Avatar

Gray, I have one if you would like to use it...Im on the ES just over the bridge

www.cnksaltwatertackle.com

7", 9" and 12" STRIPER TREATS..A new world of plastics for jigging! NEW WIDE GAP JIGHEADS ARE HERE Bulk Jighead Orders are Available

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

I went to a WM a few weeks ago and they were out of 5200.....how does a marine store run out of a basic adhesive caulk? They didn't know Spring was coming and people were repairing boats?

That said it wasn't my usual WM......the folks at the Deale store are great.....and if they don't have something they get it quick and call you to come pick it up.
    Capt. Steve Goins
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tolmaz View Post
    Gray, I have one if you would like to use it...Im on the ES just over the bridge
    He just wants to whine, bro. GB... you've always had a hard-on for WM.

Well West Marine is still in business and Boaters World isn't.. Probably a good reason for that.. No reason not to carry extra inventory, particularly this time of season and now your almost the only game in town.. Sorry John for the experience.. maybe next time

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I agree!

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Look... I've been frustrated with WM more than once when the only have 1 or 2 of an item when more's needed.

That being said, I've shopped as a Port Supply customer for years and will continue to do so. Each of the salesmen there know me by name when I walk in the door, and share my frustration when they have to order an item.

Last year I needed bottom paint for aluminum. We all know how expensive bottom paint is. A customer ordered in a gallon, took it home, didn't like the color after using 1% of the can. He brought it back, they gave him a full credit, and WM then sold me the can at a steeeeep discount.

Customer service.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree that West Marine is a poor excuse for a marine store but shopping at All Tackle is not the answer, the people that work there are just as unknowledgeable and uncaring as the poeple at West Marine. It's hard to get any body to talk to you or even just ring you up there. I have walked out of there without buying anything before because I could not get anybody to take my money.

I'd stick to Fairwinds and other small shops for marine needs.

Fishduck

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast