Tidal Fish Forum banner

Welcome Light Tackle Anglers - Introduce Yourself

51K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  senkosam_1316 
#1 ·
Hi

We had a bunch of requests lately to have a forum solely dedicated to saltwater light tackle fishing, so here it is:thumbup: Let's see what we can do. I would ask that we keep the fishing reports to the regional boards unless others disagree?

I will start with my introduction. Hi I am Brandon and I have been addicted to saltwater light tackle fishing since I was a kid. I grew up on a farm and we light tackle fished for Largemouth Bass, sunfish, catfish and anything else we could throw a lure at. Since I live on the Chesapeake Bay I mostly target striped bass in the salt, but have light tackle fished for bonefish, jacks, barracuda, black fin tuna, false albacore, white and yellow perch, croaker, redfish and trout. I am completely addicted to light tackle fishing with popper and will throw a popper at anything to get the blow up strike.

Brandon

#28 ·
Hi, my name is Dave. I spin and fly light tackle mainly for largemouth, smallies, black crappie, brooks, browns, bows, shad, rockfish, grouper, snapper, baracuda, tarpon, permit, and bonefish. I handline low test for grouper, snapper, baracuda, tarpon, permit, and bonefish. I have always fished light tackle because its more fun. Tight lines to all.

Dave

#29 ·
Hi there!

I'm a light tackle boat angler from Cork in Ireland! Bass (European not striped) are my primary target and thereafter anything that will take a lure.
I fished recently with an American friend (Bottom Knocker) here in Ireland. I was delighted to learn that there are even more than I thought doing the same thing Stateside. So, here to pick up on the American experience and to pass anything of use from our side of the atlantic.
Later,
Jim

#30 ·
Whats up yall, My name is Billy, I grew up in norther (*******) Fl fishn for specks, reds , hybrid bass exc.. anything that bends a rod. Reds and Specks are my favorite. Did some spearfishing for awhile around here but nothing compares to a big red on light tackle. Typically I pick up my bow in the fall but this year Im gonna stick to fishn the colder months.
Im really lookin forward to the stripers this fall, I mainly stick around Gloucester area (marshes). But this year I have been branching out to elizabeth river, HRBT. Dont really know alot about striper fishing but I plan on learning all I can.

#32 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My name is Mike and I hail from northern York Co, Pa. Been fishing light tackle since age 12, that was way back in 1962. I grew up wading small Central Pa trout streams and the Susquehanna River, west shore side, across from Harrisburg for smallies, carp, catfish & muskies. In my early twenties I started doing a lot of light tackle Charter Boat fishing, from Cape Cod to South Carolina, for just about anything that grew larger than the fish I was used to catching. In 1994 I sprained my back severely (no fighting chair) while landing a 16' Blue Shark, 110 miles off Lewes, DE, which was tagged and released after a 2 1/2 hour fight. Well, that was that...no more monsters for me. I still wade the areas I did as a kid but 90% of my fishing time, since 2009, is spent on the Susky Flats. I trailer my boat 80 miles one way and fish out of Havre De Grace, spring & fall, chasing stripers in my 16' deep v. My heavy striper rig is a 6 1/2' M/H Carbonlite with a Penn Battle 4000 spooled with 12# Suffix Elite. My go to rig is a 6 1/2' St Croix Medium with a Shimano Sahara 2500 or 3000 spooled with 8# or 10# Trilene XL. I haven't been on the water since June 4, 2013 and am really looking forward to getting back out there SOON.......

I don't know a lot but I am willing to share/trade info with others....Tight lines all :fishing2:

#33 ·
You know my name from the logon. I started fishing when I was five or six years old in trout streams in North Carolina. Nothing fancy in the way of rods then, it was a birch pole with a few feet of line, a number 8 hook (or sometimes just a bent straight pin) and redworms in a Prince Albert tobacco can. Sneak up to the stream like you were stalking a white tail, drop the worm into the pool and let it float with the current. There is still nothing prettier than a native brook trout in fall spawing colors!

I fish mostly the upper bay from Hart-Miller/Tolchester area to the base of the dam at Conowingo for Whateversbiten. Which, by the way, is the name of my 18ft Starcraft CC. I fish the Susquehanna river and flats heavily starting in January for yellow perch and on into the spring for shad, white perch and rockfish. My favorite rod is a 7 ft. medium light Carrot stick coupled with a Shakespeare Deciever 1025 reel spooled with 10 lb nanofil. It is great for shad, walleye and rockfish into the upper 20 inches. I generally go to ultra light for the white perch once they get up into the skinny water and to 7 ft. MH spinning or casting for the larger rockfish in the deeper waters. I make most of my own lures from shad darts, to lead heads, to bucktails, to blade baits, to flutter (butterfly) jigs, to jigging spoons. I also sometimes sell them under the name Whateversbiten.

#34 ·
Hi, My name is Andy. If 12# line is light tackle I am in with you all. I started out bass fishing the Susquhanna river in MD. and the North East River in MD. View attachment 167065 View attachment 167073 Then moved to Venice FL. and got pretty good at beach flounder fishing. View attachment 167081 View attachment 167089 Moved again to Fedrealsburg MD. All the good fishing areas are too far away now for this old man. I had a good fishing life. Now I have to learn how to catch fish from land on Marshy Hope Creek close to home.

#35 ·
Love the old pictures Andy :thumbup: thanks for posting. Many of my fondest memories revolve around fishing, particularly the "good old days".
Still love it, just can't go after em like I used to. Where did all the years go? Hope you find that hot-spot close to home :))

#40 ·
I guess we should just say, I use to catch bass, and leave it go at that. Then all will believe every thing you tell them. I am still fishing and still taken pictures. I got salt in my blood and gave up bass fishing long ago. Now I'm back in MD. Fishing for little perch, crappie, and even bass now and then. I'm kinda proud of the fish I caught. How about you? That is a good question. Is 6 or 8 lb. Super Lines still light tackle ? You didn't answer my question.

You can fish from the Susquehanna Flats down to the Bay Bridge. You got it made. Were do you keep your boat?

#41 ·
I guess we should just say, I use to catch bass, and leave it go at that. Then all will believe every thing you tell them. I am still fishing and still taken pictures. I got salt in my blood and gave up bass fishing long ago. Now I'm back in MD. Fishing for little perch, crappie, and even bass now and then. I'm kinda proud of the fish I caught. How about you? That is a good question. Is 6 or 8 lb. Super Lines still light tackle ? You didn't answer my question.

You can fish from the Susquehanna Flats down to the Bay Bridge. You got it made. Were do you keep your boat?
Andy, I have never caught a bass like that in my life. That is surely one to be proud of. I did however catch a 22 1/4" smallmouth maybe 5 years ago while wet wading the Susky up here around Harrisburg. I keep my boat in my garage and tow my little 16.5' deep v 80 miles south to fish the flats and lower susky. I've really never have fished too much past the Sassafras river. I still like to wet wade up here thru the summer for smallies & muskies & chase stripers down there from March - June then again from Sept - Dec. I did a fair amount of blue water & surf fishing in my younger days from Cape Cod to Edisto, S.C. but, that was then and this is now. You are definitely more of an avid fisherman than I am anymore. Keep up the good work buddy :thumbup:

#42 ·
I've been a bass fisherman most of my life mainly fishing TN reservoirs as an adult and Wisconsin lakes as a child with my dad. Last year I got a place on Kent Island MD and now I'm transitioning to Striper fishing on the Chesapeake Bay. I've learned a lot in one year by talking with tackle shops, reading books written by light tackle fisherman in the area and getting on forums like this asking questions. I am anxious for the weather to break so I can get out there to try out my new found knowledge. My home residence is in Ohio but I plan on spending half my time in MD during the season. My two sons live and work in the DC area which was my motivation to sell my property in TN and buy on the Chesapeake. It has worked out well since I love the area, the people there and getting to spend more time with my boys. My goal this year is to meet some local fisherman and build a network of fishing buddy's. Tight lines!

#43 ·
Bay valle, I lived on kent Island, and fished that area almost every day for about 30 years. Kent Island is too crowded now for us. We moved back to Md. two years ago from FL. We live way down the Shore in Federalsburg Md. Good for you. You have a lot of places to fish now. A lot of good fishing on all the Eastern Shore rivers. Looking forward to some fishing reports from you.

#44 ·
Andy. It does get busy on the roads during summer weekends. I would have like to discover this area years earlier but I stumbled just upon it when my son took me out to see Annapolis a couple of years ago. I envy everyone who was fortunate enough to grow up in such a beautiful area and I now am looking forward to spending much of my retired years out there. Plus now I'll get to see my grandkids grow up.

#45 ·
Hi, I go by the username Senkosam on most forums and Spoonminnow on others. I usually post photos of fish and the lures that caught them as examples of the variety of lures all anglers can catch most fish species. Pretty much all lures I've cast in the last 20 years are those I've made or modified - especially soft plastics. 95% of the time I use light jigs with soft plastic lures in many shapes but will use lures I buy so as to not have to buy molds to pour them.

My only tidal river fishing is in the Hudson R., southern N.Y. where the salt front reaches all the way to Poughkeepsie
and up creeks that empty into it. I never caught a striper though I know they migrate to spawn in the main river which I don't fish. Most of my fishing is in 8 different lakes within 30 min. from home and those waters yield 30-80 fish most days I fish each of them. Those lakes yield bass, all species of panfish, catfish, pickerel and recently a 4 lb white sucker.

Any questions about lure making or the tackle I use feel free to ask.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.