Welcome Light Tackle Anglers - Introduce Yourself - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Bump for updates on how you are doing and for new light tackle devotees.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hi all,

My name is Mike and I hail from northern York Co, Pa. Been fishing light tackle since age 12, that was way back in 1962. I grew up wading small Central Pa trout streams and the Susquehanna River, west shore side, across from Harrisburg for smallies, carp, catfish & muskies. In my early twenties I started doing a lot of light tackle Charter Boat fishing, from Cape Cod to South Carolina, for just about anything that grew larger than the fish I was used to catching. In 1994 I sprained my back severely (no fighting chair) while landing a 16' Blue Shark, 110 miles off Lewes, DE, which was tagged and released after a 2 1/2 hour fight. Well, that was that...no more monsters for me. I still wade the areas I did as a kid but 90% of my fishing time, since 2009, is spent on the Susky Flats. I trailer my boat 80 miles one way and fish out of Havre De Grace, spring & fall, chasing stripers in my 16' deep v. My heavy striper rig is a 6 1/2' M/H Carbonlite with a Penn Battle 4000 spooled with 12# Suffix Elite. My go to rig is a 6 1/2' St Croix Medium with a Shimano Sahara 2500 or 3000 spooled with 8# or 10# Trilene XL. I haven't been on the water since June 4, 2013 and am really looking forward to getting back out there SOON.......

I don't know a lot but I am willing to share/trade info with others....Tight lines all
    Last edited by MWOLFE; 08-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.

You know my name from the logon. I started fishing when I was five or six years old in trout streams in North Carolina. Nothing fancy in the way of rods then, it was a birch pole with a few feet of line, a number 8 hook (or sometimes just a bent straight pin) and redworms in a Prince Albert tobacco can. Sneak up to the stream like you were stalking a white tail, drop the worm into the pool and let it float with the current. There is still nothing prettier than a native brook trout in fall spawing colors!

I fish mostly the upper bay from Hart-Miller/Tolchester area to the base of the dam at Conowingo for Whateversbiten. Which, by the way, is the name of my 18ft Starcraft CC. I fish the Susquehanna river and flats heavily starting in January for yellow perch and on into the spring for shad, white perch and rockfish. My favorite rod is a 7 ft. medium light Carrot stick coupled with a Shakespeare Deciever 1025 reel spooled with 10 lb nanofil. It is great for shad, walleye and rockfish into the upper 20 inches. I generally go to ultra light for the white perch once they get up into the skinny water and to 7 ft. MH spinning or casting for the larger rockfish in the deeper waters. I make most of my own lures from shad darts, to lead heads, to bucktails, to blade baits, to flutter (butterfly) jigs, to jigging spoons. I also sometimes sell them under the name Whateversbiten.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Hi, My name is Andy. If 12# line is light tackle I am in with you all. I started out bass fishing the Susquhanna river in MD. and the North East River in MD.Attachment 167065Attachment 167073 Then moved to Venice FL. and got pretty good at beach flounder fishing.Attachment 167081Attachment 167089 Moved again to Fedrealsburg MD. All the good fishing areas are too far away now for this old man. I had a good fishing life. Now I have to learn how to catch fish from land on Marshy Hope Creek close to home.

Love the old pictures Andy thanks for posting. Many of my fondest memories revolve around fishing, particularly the "good old days".
    Still love it, just can't go after em like I used to. Where did all the years go? Hope you find that hot-spot close to home

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWOLFE View Post
    Love the old pictures Andy thanks for posting. Many of my fondest memories revolve around fishing, particularly the "good old days".
    Still love it, just can't go after em like I used to. Where did all the years go? Hope you find that hot-spot close to home
    I hear you MWOLFE. It is not easy anymore. Still fishing after all these years. Just not catching like we use to. That's why I went to floundering around on the Venice FL. beaches. It was like fishing with all the worked picked out. LOL! Thanks!

Blog Entries

You can fish from the Susquehanna Flats down to the Bay Bridge. You got it made. Were do you keep your boat? Good luck on your retirement. It gets pretty boring if you can't fish almost every day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWOLFE View Post
    The flounder pictures are not old. They are from the last few years, up to last year.

Quote Originally Posted by andypat View Post
    The flounder pictures are not old. They are from the last few years, up to last year.
    Yeah Andy....but those bass photos up top ain't very recent...LOL...catch em up buddy

I recently switched out some of my reels to "super lines" so I'm not sure that I still qualify as a light tackle fisherman

Blog Entries

I guess we should just say, I use to catch bass, and leave it go at that. Then all will believe every thing you tell them. I am still fishing and still taken pictures. I got salt in my blood and gave up bass fishing long ago. Now I'm back in MD. Fishing for little perch, crappie, and even bass now and then. I'm kinda proud of the fish I caught. How about you? That is a good question. Is 6 or 8 lb. Super Lines still light tackle ? You didn't answer my question.

You can fish from the Susquehanna Flats down to the Bay Bridge. You got it made. Were do you keep your boat?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast