Question should we boycott BP fuel? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ailsworthless View Post
    amen

P..L..E..A..S..E ! Do you walk EVERYWHERE you go! Probably not. Lets be reasonable here. For a LONG time there has been A LOT of oil rigs in the GULF and, even through multiple hurricanes, even Katrina, these things were safe/secure. This IS a VERY BIG ACCIDENT, and nobody has all the answers. From reading these posts I think 98% of us GET IT. There are some GREAT perspectives here and they made me think in other views. But one fact still remains - We need oil - We need OUR OWN oil - Our F22's don't fly without it - Our Aircraft Carriers use it (Yes, even the with Nuclear Reactors they still have diesel generators the size of train engines). We need it to compete Globally and for our national security......that IS the world we live in now. I only pray the Good Lord helps us out with this.....it is that big.

Great discussion folks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You may hurt the local retail service station more than BP

A J

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I guess its mission complete for BP as far as turning the american consumer against offshore drilling. Not even two months ago this very same message board was alive with everyone praising offshore drilling (which probably isnt the best option for oil companies' profitability). For a while there it looked like we were finally gonna take the reigns over oil domestic oil production and put the ball in our court by making ourselves less dependent on foreign oil.

What a change a couple of weeks makes.

BP, our government, and our media have really lead the flock to the pasture and hit a home run with this one. We all have to agree that this spill is tradgic.... but it isnt the fault of offshore drilling. Offshore drilling can be done safely and effectively. And yes we all know that fossil fuels are bad for the environment but are we supposed to switch to hydrogen fuel overnight during this spill? For now we need oil. We also need an alternative fuel source in the near future but agreeably there is not a different fuel source available to the general public yet, so we NEED oil. Its not a want. It is a neccessity.

BP is what has made this a disaster. Our government has allowed BP to do whatever they desire and the media has propogated it. I will assure you this could have been fixed sooner. Like was said earlier, did it take them a month to mix the concrete? This spill probably wouldnt have shut down offshore drilling off the east coast if they had fixed this thing in four days or a week and there wasnt marshes filled with oil for the media to beam the sheep videos of, but look at it. A month of oil spill and suddenly the tide has turned with the american people. The media has done a flawless job of making people on the east coast gain a mental picture of their marshlands, coastlines, and beaches coated with oil. I challenge any one of you to show me a chart showing ocean currents off the mid atlantic that would ever steer oil up onto the coast. It may be steered close to the coast... if you consider 60 miles close. Think about this. There is sargassum grass everywhere off the coast almost the entire year floating on the surface. Why do you not see sargassum washed up on the beaches all the time? If this spill happened off the east coast- as the oil wells are obviously so often are making huge spills (there are only a handful and most are a slight percentage of the size as this one), there would never be pictures of oil soaked marshes. But admittedly many of you think this could be a reality simply because you saw it on CNN and we all know CNN would never EVER try to persuade people on anything.

What needs to be done is that we need to go further with plans to do what we can to utilize resources and hold the assholes responsible for this disaster completely and fully accountable. Dont re elect and make your voice heard with your wallet. We might not be able to affect BP but BP wouldnt be in the powerful position they were in if they didnt have the government in their pocket. They do not want offshore drilling. WE not they are the ones that stand to benefit from it and they do not want it and would do anything to keep it from happening. BP has clearly made it a point that they are more concerned with their wallet than the gulf coast and this should really insult us. It insults and angers me and of course the governments first recourse on this is to find a way to make this spill into another tax on the american people. Do you read me?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by capt. jakeg View Post
    I guess its mission complete for BP as far as turning the american consumer against offshore drilling. Not even two months ago this very same message board was alive with everyone praising offshore drilling (which probably isnt the best option for oil companies' profitability). For a while there it looked like we were finally gonna take the reigns over oil domestic oil production and put the ball in our court by making ourselves less dependent on foreign oil.

What a change a couple of weeks makes.

BP, our government, and our media have really lead the flock to the pasture and hit a home run with this one. We all have to agree that this spill is tradgic.... but it isnt the fault of offshore drilling. Offshore drilling can be done safely and effectively. And yes we all know that fossil fuels are bad for the environment but are we supposed to switch to hydrogen fuel overnight during this spill? For now we need oil. We also need an alternative fuel source in the near future but agreeably there is not a different fuel source available to the general public yet, so we NEED oil. Its not a want. It is a neccessity.

BP is what has made this a disaster. Our government has allowed BP to do whatever they desire and the media has propogated it. I will assure you this could have been fixed sooner. Like was said earlier, did it take them a month to mix the concrete? This spill probably wouldnt have shut down offshore drilling off the east coast if they had fixed this thing in four days or a week and there wasnt marshes filled with oil for the media to beam the sheep videos of, but look at it. A month of oil spill and suddenly the tide has turned with the american people. The media has done a flawless job of making people on the east coast gain a mental picture of their marshlands, coastlines, and beaches coated with oil. I challenge any one of you to show me a chart showing ocean currents off the mid atlantic that would ever steer oil up onto the coast. It may be steered close to the coast... if you consider 60 miles close. Think about this. There is sargassum grass everywhere off the coast almost the entire year floating on the surface. Why do you not see sargassum washed up on the beaches all the time? If this spill happened off the east coast- as the oil wells are obviously so often are making huge spills (there are only a handful and most are a slight percentage of the size as this one), there would never be pictures of oil soaked marshes. But admittedly many of you think this could be a reality simply because you saw it on CNN and we all know CNN would never EVER try to persuade people on anything.

What needs to be done is that we need to go further with plans to do what we can to utilize resources and hold the assholes responsible for this disaster completely and fully accountable. Dont re elect and make your voice heard with your wallet. We might not be able to affect BP but BP wouldnt be in the powerful position they were in if they didnt have the government in their pocket. They do not want offshore drilling. WE not they are the ones that stand to benefit from it and they do not want it and would do anything to keep it from happening. BP has clearly made it a point that they are more concerned with their wallet than the gulf coast and this should really insult us. It insults and angers me and of course the governments first recourse on this is to find a way to make this spill into another tax on the american people. Do you read me?
    You make a VERY good argument Capt. Jake.........I wish more folks understood this.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Why is BP against offshore drilling? This seems like an odd statement in light of today's Washington Post article that reports that BP is currently lobbying against further regulation of offshore drilling.

And you can complain about the media coverage, but there is a lesson that was learned 60 years ago that could be paraphrased right here:

"They first polluted Prince William Sound,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Alaskan.

Then they polluted the Bay of Campeche,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Mexican.

Then they polluted the Gulf of Mexico,
    and I didn't speak up because I lived in Maryland.

Then they polluted the Eastern Seaboard
    and by that time it was too late to speak up."

I think the media are reminding us that it is high time to speak up.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by capt. jakeg View Post
    I I challenge any one of you to show me a chart showing ocean currents off the mid atlantic that would ever steer oil up onto the coast. It may be steered close to the coast... if you consider 60 miles close. Think about this. There is sargassum grass everywhere off the coast almost the entire year floating on the surface. Why do you not see sargassum washed up on the beaches all the time? If this spill happened off the east coast- as the oil wells are obviously so often are making huge spills (there are only a handful and most are a slight percentage of the size as this one), there would never be pictures of oil soaked marshes. But admittedly many of you think this could be a reality simply because you saw it on CNN and we all know CNN would never EVER try to persuade people on anything.
    So because we presumably won't see any oil on OUR beaches it's OK to "Spill Baby, Spill"? Maybe all that sargassum we never see will trap anything that spills. Sargassum isn't good for anything, nothing worth anything lives there! Turtles, Dolphin etc could just swim away. I don't know why the Brown pelican don't just fly away from Louisiana. Maybe they don't watch CNN.

By your line of reasoning, the spill in the Gulf is no big deal because I don't see any oil on MY beach. Katrina wasn't that big a deal because it didn't happen here.

Keep BP afloat so the,y and we, can pay to clean up the mess down there. Just don't put any of those "fail safe" rigs off my coast!

As far as BP goes I am sure that they did not intend for this to happen because it is a damn expensive problem. The real issue is that it is a problem that there does not seem to be anyone out there that is quite sure how to put a band-aid on this accident. The real fear is that I do not think many people realize the scope and magnitude of this accident. It is more acurately possibly the largest ecological disaster on earth in anyones lifetime. The effects of this will possiibly show up in Hatteras NC as this oild is pushed by the Gulf Stream, they say that is a 1% chance but i feel that chance has to grow as more oild leas daily and this crisis continues to go un-abated. Look at the web-site related to the non-fishing zone as a result of this spill, and the zone is growing. It could be years before those areas are able to hold fish. Many species like Blue Fin tuna spawn in that area. the real question is what will the end result be when the flwo of oil is finally capped.

Capt Nemo ,
    all name calling set aside if this was an American based Company Why is the Cleanup and possible fix being done by BP BRITISH PETRO.....
    Did you happen to watch Anderson Cooper last night? Like Me you might be Furious like the people of the Gulf! hundreds of thousands acres of wetlands with oil soaked grasses... James Carville , Anderson Cooper along with the Gov of Alabama in a boat ride to those areas were Overtook by the devastation. No cleanups in Sight. No sound of birds , no minnows no wildlfe... Nothing except miles of OIL clumps in the grasses , marsh and settled in all Channels
    James Carville comment " It's Dead and Dead Quiet" and No one is here cleaning this up.... Calls had been made and BP said it was going to " Again come up with a Plan " to address this.. 4 days ago....As of last night no one has been there to cleanup Jack... Strong Words there Nemo,,,, The Wetlands are where the Ocean Begins , Spawnigs of everything , Food for every fish , Crab, wildlife ....IS SHOT ...Now you can call me names or correct me on comments made
    That Stuff is still out there .. Do you think Cancer Only applies to Humans

The Numpty Tool

Did I hear correctly that BP was closing this rig down when the explosion happened? It was mentioned in the report about the argument between the company engineers and the platform guys. Apparently the BP guys wanted it shit down faster than the platform guys thought safe? Just curious why they would shut down what seems to be a deposit still pretty full oil (or was).

6 months is WAY too soon for Washington to get anything accomplished. New and existing Deep water drilling should be suspended,INDEFINTELY, until the full scope and cost of the damages and cleanup can be accurately accessed. Then any company wishing to drill must first show liquid assets in escrow equalling the cost of cleanup, for each well, plans in place, environmental impact studies, insurance, etc etc. Still doesn't solve the problem of killing the planet, but at least people will get compensated promptly and properly...

I still don't want them off VA.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast