Fishing Report Striped Bass Fishing Beyond the 3 Mile Limit
Page 1 of 22 123 ... LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Post Striped Bass Fishing Beyond the 3 Mile Limit

Before the bad weather front moved in yesterday many boats found themselves fishing outside the three mile line for striped bass. Boats were identified as charter boats and recreational fishing boats from the states of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware according to the boat registration numbers that were recorded. Some boats appeared to be catch and releasing and some appear to have kept fish and returned to ports along the Atlantic coast. The name of the boat owner on the boat registration will ultimately be held accountable. Crew who are engaging in fishing can also be held accountable with photo or video evidence if identifiable.

Keeping striped bass outside of 3 miles of any size is illegal. Keeping in the no take zone and returning to port is a federal offense.

Catch and release striped bass fishing is illegal outside the three mile limit. You may not harass striped bass beyond three miles. Claiming you are blue or another species fishing is not a valid argument. If you have been recorded removing striped bass from the water and taking photographs of striped bass and then returning to fish that area and catching more striped bass you are guilty.

Words can be denied or questioned, photos and video with verifiable gps coordinates of where the photos or video was recorded can be confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If you fish for striped bass beyond the three mile limit you have engaged in an illegal activity. With evidence you can be federally prosecuted and any tackle, truck, trailer or other gear witnessed and recorded being used in the act of engaging in that illegal activity can be confiscated at the time or future time when charges are filed. If you engage in the illegal activity and use a motor vehicle and trailer to remove your watercraft that you used to engage in that illegal activity, those items now become part of the crime. The registered owner according to the license plate will be held accountable. If you use a friends motor vehicle and trailer you are putting them at risk of losing their asset.

If you engage in fishing for striped bass and keep them to weigh in at a tournament you are participating, the tournament owner can also prosecute you.

If you do not engage in this activity you have nothing to concern yourself. If you have engaged in this activity over the last year or are considering this an option for the future you have and will most likely be observed and recorded. The evidence will be turned over to the proper authorities and if allowed by law released to media outlets.

At a time when the striped bass populations are in question we as a society can no longer afford to have illegal fishing activities. The three mile limit for striped bass fishing was created for a reason, to protect them. We need to protect them so they exist in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You a cop? If not, your time playing at cop might be better spent if you were to take your cameras and GPS to the streets to catch the thieves and murders that are running our streets. If you have dreams of being a cop, maybe you should make the sacrifice, put in the time and put it on the line by openly wearing a badge instead of hiding behind an anonymous posing.

I thought that this was a friendly forum. Being that, I would expect that the most we would see would be a friendly reminder of the law, not threats. We're here to share, learn, and have fun, not be chastised.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think it serves as a good reminder to keep honest folks honest. I know many who have succumb to the darkside (recs and charters) who used to be honest, law-abiding anglers. So a reminder every now and again does no harm. I do wish there were not so many poachers as the more who are doing it makes it tempting to those who have not but are thinking about it. I wish enforcement was better and fines steeper but the fact remains that charters and recs both poach stripers in the EEZ and they believe the risks are worth it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

mike you know this has been beat to death. fish EYES do a search for posts like this & you'll see about a million. everyone knows right from wrong & i just hate to see any bickering pop back up after the recent peace & quiet. how bout we just fish.

Love to fish,
    If you are not fishing outside three miles for striped bass you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I did not mean to offend anyone, if I offended those breaking the law I did because now there will be accountability for actions. Given the extensive reach that this site has with it's readership and belief that some of those breaking the law may monitor the site is what prompted this thread.

Striped bass are a public resource, the abuse that has gone on with people stealing the public resource has gone on long enough. Striped bass populations are in trouble, we need to protect them.

The law is not a threat, it is a law. If you are breaking the law the law becomes a threat because of the repercussions that it spells out. If you are law abiding there is no threat.

As a friendly site I would think that you would support this initiative and not be angry at the initiative to halt this illegal activity that is going on right in our own back yard.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Cheers to Tony lets just fish. IF someone is stupid enough to fish otuside thats their problem but as far as im concerned Im worried about me and what im catching.

tonydivefish,

Thank you for your reply. I've witnessed this topic on this site over the years. What has not been witnessed or read is people who are breaking the law being brought to justice to stop stealing from the public resource that we all own and enjoy. I did not start this thread to be an argument. You are right that most know the law, but some citizens do not. Those that break the law should be held accountable.

Chief Angler / Moderator

Exclamation

Here is the deal. I, Al and the other moderators that help out on TidalFish.com, have made a real effort and worked hard over the last year to moderate the boards better and keep them fun and friendly. I believe we have achieved that and want to end the year on a high note.

This topic is an annual topic that sparks passion. A reminder about things is fine, but this will be the only thread about this subject allowed in this forum. All other discussion about this topic if it pops up, which in my many years of moderation seems to happen when something gets on a roll, will get moved to the Tidal Fish Conservation and Policy Forum .

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Fisheyes ,
    Looks like your New th the TF site.. Though I applaud your Post I would be careful what you put out here.. You may cut your Life line of Fishing Information being so Bold..
    Fishing outside the 3 mile line is no New topic as stated above. Everyone who goes past it know's what can Happen. Sooner or Later you'll get Busted if you stray... Its Not up to You nor me to Enforce the Law.. The State already has Officers who Know their Job duties.. Unless your One of them and this a Thread Warning to all as a Freindly reminder
    I would let it Ride.. I've been close to the line and Watched Birds Diving outside the line and saw how many boats Broke the law.. I sat and Watched shaken my head ... Its not up to me to Piss off all the Capt out there. They take the Risk .. If caught its not worth it , if Not thier Clients will surely come back ... a real Catch 22 ( No Pun Inteneded)..... The Enforcement is there and its up to them to decide what actions to take...

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 22 123 ... LastLast