Tidal Fish Forum banner

My flats skiff build

311K views 417 replies 42 participants last post by  Hvymax 
#1 ·
I'm building this boat in my garage in St. Mary's. Anyway, thought I would share a time lapse video of our progress yesterday. This is a father son project and we are having a blast.

Rob

#243 ·
Thanks Steve. Don't worry, I won't rush too much towards the finish line. Just about everything now will show in the finished product and is getting a lot of my time and attention (perhaps too much). Glad this weather finally warmed up. Looking forward to getting the leaf blower out and blowing all of the dust out of the shop.

#248 ·
Rob,
Are you keeping track of how many hours you have invested in this? The final tally of hours and investment of money will be quite revealing. It will show this is truly a labor of love.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using TidalFish

#249 ·
Hey Steve,

I would say over 1100 hours over the last 28 months. It certainly is a labor of love and a lot of learning on the fly. Still wishing I had taken that freshman shop class in high school 26 years ago :) The good news is that I'm still having fun and haven't lost interest yet. I just need to learn to leave well enough alone and move along sometimes... As far as the money part, yep, it's expensive too. A $655 epoxy order showed up during the last video and the UPS guy knows to just put the heavy boxes in front of the garage door. The good news is that it was my last epoxy order for this boat.

Would I do it again? Someday, it's just in my system now and I enjoyed it. Did it make sense financially? probably/probably not, but I'm getting exactly what I wanted and gained a lot of knowledge along the way. The value will be in the memories that it already created and those yet to be...

#261 ·
I'm building this boat in my garage in St. Mary's. Anyway, thought I would share a time lapse video of our progress yesterday. This is a father son project and we are having a blast.

Rob
As you near completion, remember when? I had to look up when you started this. It's been a long road and we've followed you along the way. Good luck down the home stretch!
Mike

#262 ·
I really thought I would have it done within a year. Never expected close to 3 years, but I'm getting there. Just a little more fabrication then a lot of glassing and sanding left. My son Benji is really looking forward to the rigging stage where he will be a huge help. I will fish on it this summer (maybe late) Here are some more update pics as I am getting ready to make the mahogany pod and trying to decide if I want to use the short or long throttle lever.

#268 ·
You sir are a true Craftsman!

Have been watching since the beginning. I built an 18 Tolman Center Console and have been fishing it for 3 years now. Nothing like fishing from your own home built vessel.

The videos are great. Thanks for posting.

Well done!

Bob over on the shore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.