Tidal Fish Forum banner

My flats skiff build

311K views 417 replies 42 participants last post by  Hvymax 
#1 ·
I'm building this boat in my garage in St. Mary's. Anyway, thought I would share a time lapse video of our progress yesterday. This is a father son project and we are having a blast.

Rob

#270 ·
Thanks Bob and HookMaster. Let's say I've gained patience with this project. Maybe it's the fact that I've aged nearly 3 years since the start of this project, but you guys probably know what it's like when you build something and keep thinking in your head " I hope I don't screw this up". Especially since I decided to put this out on the internet with video of every step. Thanks for watching, and hopefully it won't be too long before she's done.

Here are a few pics from this evening. I applied the first coat of epoxy to the pod. A lot of it soaked into the grain, so it will take a few coats before it levels out.

#271 ·
That sure is a pretty piece of wood. I really admire your dedication and your attention to detail. In the videos it looks like you fit and sand each piece of that boat several times over.

Steve

#279 ·
So much attention to detail. The last few shots tell it all with a very happy looking young man just imagining the finished product.

Thanks for the update.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using TidalFish

#280 ·
Hey Steve,

Sorry I missed you this weekend. I'll try to keep the fish dialed in for you so I can tell you where to find them on Labor day weekend. I've had my best August in years so I guess the Rockfish are just in different areas this year.

Anyway, I worked on the gutter system for the pop-up instrument panel this weekend. Cool temps made made for pleasant boat building...

#288 ·
I used peel-ply when I glassed the inside of the cooler so I didn't have to do much grinding inside. I roughed it up with 80 grit before applying Alexseal 302 Superbuild. I've started pulling fairing compound after a quick sanding of the primer. I'll block sand next, pull more compound and repeat...

#292 ·
I was wondering how that was going to work. Nice job. It was nice meeting you too this weekend. I plan to head down there on Saturday for half a day fishing. Looking at the advanced forecast shows the wind will be much better than next weekend. I may head out to the bay but I'll touch base with you before I head down. Good luck!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.